Dreamer Living off Social Security

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is very little torque on the shaft it directly drives the brushes.... If I understand your question sorry I figured the big hitters would be in eventually.

71tRO4hSCcL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh sheesh I got interupted mid post. Short story He asked what kind of twist would be on the hub or power to be given to the motor... I got involved in descrirbing that I would get help... cause I am a gear head not a sparky.

The actual hub on this smaller windmill is different. Torque on it will be very slight... because there is no drive shaft. Or Generator as most people think of one.

Electrical generation comes from the windmill its self... The brushes for electrical generation are within the base of the winmill ...

All it means is less equipment the more simple the easier it is to maintain...

deb

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep I will depend on people like you to determine the solar panel draw and power consumption. The windmill will be as a part of an energy experiment... Learning curve. I am incapable of climbing a ladder Efficency is definatly with the three blade Airfoil type windmills. But the blade arc circumfrence requires that the blades need to be at least fifteen feet off the ground. For safety.... Then another fifteen feet to the hub.... Drive shaft diameter is What.... three or four inches?: Gear box about the size of a Riding lawn mower engine?

Then there is the control of the device keeping it turned into the wind. Either by Tail fin... Static... or by computer with a motor and gearbox itself. The Best Blades feather when the wind gets too strong... eventually completely and locked down for gale force winds... Which we get... Passive feathering requires the blade to twist on its own.... Controlled feathering is again by computer.... again another motor.

Seems a lot of expense to generate 100 ~ 400 watts of power. But I guess every little bit helps to keep the battery bank topped off. Who inverter are you using and how may volts is your battery bank?

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seems a lot of expense to generate 100 ~ 400 watts of power. But I guess every little bit helps to keep the battery bank topped off. Who inverter are you using and how may volts is your battery bank?
NOne as of yet.... If and when I hope to build a battery bank inside an insulated trailer.... Where I can control the environment I do know external temperature can have a big influence on how well the batteries perform. Out gas needs have to be tended to for both efficiencey and safety.... So it seems to me to have an enclosed battery compartment or room would be the best idea. Portable even better because I can take it to the electrician for the build.

I havent even research cost... yet. I know the batteries will be a big one.... probably more than the whole energy farm "".

Like I said in the beginning.... I have minimal energy needs.... with regart to modern standards. What I want and can afford .... we will tackle that hurdle and make the decisions then.

I am Sixty Three years old Needless to say my family needs are minimal. I will need to run power for lights TV and Computer at the house.... The well pump. and eventually pumps for the aquaponics system... The only things in my house that REQUIRE consistent unvarying electricity are the Refrigeration units... Refrigerator and freezer. Meaning they have motors that will suffer if the voltage goes down.

The well will have its own generation system aside from the house. Probably the best because its a thousand feet from the house.

I didnt design the layout... Or the house.... When I looked at the house I wanted to tear it down and build another. The well didnt work and the STorage tank for water was acually a fire tank required before you can build a house in California... It is not plumbed to the house... I still havent been able to discover where the pipe runs from the main line To the house... Oh I know where the on off valve is... But not where it comes off my main.

So my very first thing when I move back home will be to have a contractor come out and Rewire the house. That is where I will start.

Right now it costs me six dollars a month to keep the 110 gallon water tank full for the horse. With no horse...

deb

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Things I have had to learn on the fly:

How the well works and all the ancillary systems that make it work to pump water from the well to the house....l

Why my well would go dry if I tried to Take a shower and Run the laundry within the same hour...

Who drilled the well and how deep it actually was and how high the water column was...

Why my pump finally died.

Where the water goes from the shower... (not in the sceptic... diverted to a french drain for a tree)

Why there was two color water pipes in the house... and why one was disconnected.

That the sand filter on the water line was USELESS... and a bit of sand in the lines was No big deal.

That when the water shut off.... for TEN FREAKING DAYS every time the well went dry.... That I could take a bath from the water in the fire tank IF I sat below the water level. OUt side in my pajamas...

I learned how to plumb with PVC... Repair or patch leaks.

Replace or cap off water bibs...

Wire a New water booster pump to the fire tank... Plumber refused and watched me do it.

Found my own septic tank without fallinhg in so the septic guy could pump it out.

This was all in the first year... After I resolved many of these issues or at least understood how to live with them.... Things went pretty well.

So I am used to a learning curve.... and KNOW that the more you learn the more you find out you didnt know.... I can deal with that.

de b

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NOne as of yet.... If and when I hope to build a battery bank inside an insulated trailer.... Where I can control the environment I do know external temperature can have a big influence on how well the batteries perform. Out gas needs have to be tended to for both efficiencey and safety.... So it seems to me to have an enclosed battery compartment or room would be the best idea. Portable even better because I can take it to the electrician for the build.

I havent even research cost... yet. I know the batteries will be a big one.... probably more than the whole energy farm "".

Like I said in the beginning.... I have minimal energy needs.... with regart to modern standards. What I want and can afford .... we will tackle that hurdle and make the decisions then.

I am Sixty Three years old Needless to say my family needs are minimal. I will need to run power for lights TV and Computer at the house.... The well pump. and eventually pumps for the aquaponics system... The only things in my house that REQUIRE consistent unvarying electricity are the Refrigeration units... Refrigerator and freezer. Meaning they have motors that will suffer if the voltage goes down.

The well will have its own generation system aside from the house. Probably the best because its a thousand feet from the house.

I didnt design the layout... Or the house.... When I looked at the house I wanted to tear it down and build another. The well didnt work and the STorage tank for water was acually a fire tank required before you can build a house in California... It is not plumbed to the house... I still havent been able to discover where the pipe runs from the main line To the house... Oh I know where the on off valve is... But not where it comes off my main.

So my very first thing when I move back home will be to have a contractor come out and Rewire the house. That is where I will start.

Right now it costs me six dollars a month to keep the 110 gallon water tank full for the horse. With no horse...

deb

Lithium ion and Lithium Polymer are good newer technology choices both have there pluses and minuses. Polmer is a dry cell technology that is light weight and longer lasting and much safer than Lithium ion. However, they are lower in energy density and are more expensive to produce. I think everyone knows about the hazards of Lithium ion so I won't mention those. Still smart of you to plan for a dedicated battery bank building irregardless which type of batteries you'll be using.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You seem to be a very resourceful person! I love the one about bathing outside in pajamas! I love it!

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lithium ion and Lithium Polymer are good newer technology choices both have there pluses and minuses. Polmer is a dry cell technology that is light weight and longer lasting and much safer than Lithium ion. However, they are lower in energy density and are more expensive to produce. I think everyone knows about the hazards of Lithium ion so I won't mention those. Still smart of you to plan for a dedicated battery bank building irregardless which type of batteries you'll be using.
I was in the lead acid industry for a while.... Little Tykes batteries and UPS supplies. So I know that technology has been around virtually unchanged for more than a hundred years.
they would do a random cycle test on batches... and I had the opportunity to speak to the engineer that was in charge... Asked him about a trailer and he said it was a good idea.

I am intriqued by the whole house one by Tesla.... But two batteries for 1400.00

Lead Acid Marine batteries were what I was looking at about ten years ago. They can handle the trickle charge and the cycling from use. But were talking 250 - 400 a piece? of course there are cheaper and more expensive...

Cycling for batteries means drawing the power out and putting the power in.... The part that I know about is during the Cycling the case will bulge and contract.... They have to be able to handle that and not crack because of that funcion. Of course the electrolyte is invove and the more the battery cycles then the electrolite is eventually diminished. So Having a battery bank means a person MUST become educated in all aspects of good performance and safety...

There is one battery that also intrigues me... It involves cycling two electrolytic fluids through a membrane so thin that they can exchange electrons. ....

Another Not battery technology is using Plasma energy... Extracting All the energy out of what ever fuel is in place. Still theoretical and something my dad was working on since I was a child....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)