Dumpster Diving

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how bad do you want them?
start creeping now! before daylight breaks!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am the Queen of the Dumpster Dive and I'm not ashamed of it! :D Say that with me three times, people.......well, except you guys....wouldn't want you to say you are the Queen, unless you really are...then go right ahead!

I have gleaned some of the best stuff ever out of the trash. My sister and I used to walk around town at night (only time we could both get away) and would note good trash...er, treasures....on our walk, then come back with the truck! Heck, I'll even do it in broad daylight and I really do love the people who put a sign on their good trash that says "FREE for Hauling away". :love

Our local nursing home throws out the best stuff ever and I can't begin to tell you some of the great stuff I've gotten. We are using a cute swivel rocker right now I picked up down there.

I once gleaned a 8 ft. antique wicker swing out of someone's trash and used it for years and years. Made a red ticking cushion and some cute pillows for it and my kids would sleep out on the porch on rainy days, or read a book and swing away on that thing. So cute and comfortable!

Love, love, love getting free "junk" that turns into something cute and unique at my house that folks "ooh" and "aah" over!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh I wish I had the nerve to go get it...DH would just die if I did that! When I was young my family did alot of dumpster diving. When i went out on my own I did too...I haven't done that for years, but I wouldn't mind doing it again. There's a few things in that one dumpster I wouldn't mind taking:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Oh I wish I had the nerve to go get it...DH would just die if I did that! When I was young my family did alot of dumpster diving. When i went out on my own I did too...I haven't done that for years, but I wouldn't mind doing it again. There's a few things in that one dumpster I wouldn't mind taking:>)
Pay up that insurance and let him die, baby! :cool: :lol: Nothing to be ashamed of....some of the richest people I know dumpster dive.... and they are proud of it!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to point them out to a lady I walk with. I know she will probably take a peek in there with me and see what there is:>) The dumpster is still on this persons property though...not sure what they would thing about it

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Tomorrow I am going to point them out to a lady I walk with. I know she will probably take a peek in there with me and see what there is:>) The dumpster is still on this persons property though...not sure what they would thing about it
You could do what I do....just knock on that door and ask if they are free for the taking! The worst that can happen is that they tell you no and then you can put them out of your mind.... *nudge, nudge* Now you have ME wanting them! Do it for mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee <whining sound inserted here> :fl

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
MorelCabin said:
You could do what I do....just knock on that door and ask if they are free for the taking! The worst that can happen is that they tell you no and then you can put them out of your mind.... *nudge, nudge* Now you have ME wanting them! Do it for mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee <whining sound inserted here> :fl
I'll take a picture of that dumpster...then you'll be really jealous:>) I actually want them (the chairs) for the guesthouse when it is built