Dumpster Diving

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
awesome chairs morelcabin. now just swipe the keys to the truck and fill it with more stuff
:cool:

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I been dumpster diving for yrs..My thing is new construction sites, with permission from the contractors. I've gotten so much good building material, its a crime its being tossed...! I recently built two 4 x 16' chicken coops from dumpster salvage.( except roof singles and caulking)
I also get alot of older sliding glass doors and windows from renovation dumpsters..As someone posted here, alot of contractors are glad your freeing up more space by taking stuff, they'd have to pay to have hauled off...its a win/win situation. I also get tons of framing cut-offs which i use for kindling, i heat my home with wood only...I just loveeeeee, dumpster diving...!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
I been dumpster diving for yrs..My thing is new construction sites, with permission from the contractors. I've gotten so much good building material, its a crime its being tossed...! I recently built two 4 x 16' chicken coops from dumpster salvage.( except roof singles and caulking)
I also get alot of older sliding glass doors and windows from renovation dumpsters..As someone posted here, alot of contractors are glad your freeing up more space by taking stuff, they'd have to pay to have hauled off...its a win/win situation. I also get tons of framing cut-offs which i use for kindling, i heat my home with wood only...I just loveeeeee, dumpster diving...!!
Hey DuppyDo! Welcome to the forum! :woot You have got to post on the screen name thread to tell us where yours came from. (Or did ya and I missed it?)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome, DuppyDo! Hope you will feel right at home and jump right in! Nice to have you....and your helpful info! :D

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Punkin and Beekissed...Punkin i'm from Long Island, NY....Kevin

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome...:) May i suggest being kinda careful when dumpster diving on construction sites. Actually, almost all new construction sites have big roll-offs for construction waste, usaually much larger then a dumpster.. To really get the good stuff you have to climb into the roll-off which can be tricky. Its easy to get a nail in your foot and things like that, always move slowly and look where your going. Also remember that the company thats owns the roll-off will NOT be happy to see you in there roll-off or dumpster, thats how the make there money, hauling the good in them and there is the issue of liability if you hurt yourself. I alway ask the contractor first before i go diving, they almost always say okay, but some won't let you and will get pissed if they see you in there..! These are things i have learned from yrs of diving...lol Have fun treasure hunting, but be smart and careful and ask first....Kevin