Easing into it

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
roosmom--you are so lucky....a sauna. I always wanted to build one but haven't done yet.

I checked those kits and they are super expensive.....and researched building my own which I found awful easy to do, thinking it would be hard...but haven't gotten to it yet. Congrats!!!! Enjoy that heat!!! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We live from paycheck to paycheck so I was glad when we were able to salvage the rest of the material we needed to build it. We put it in a lean to that was on the back of our small barn. It is a long room and we put a window in it so we can see our chicken coop LOL, and the stove is on the one end. When I woke up this am it was cold, cold cold. So I will be ready for a sauna after work, canning, laundry, feeding the chickens, doing dishes, making dinner, taking out the trash etc, etc. You know how it is.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do know how it is...LOL-LOL---the daily grind. I know you will enjoy that heat. I saw a tv special on saunas and health and the detox benefits and such. It truly would be a great addition for me if I ever could get one built.

To steam it up, what do you do......?? You are using a wood stove. Do you just pour water on the top??? Have you fired it up yet?? Do you just build an intense small fire to heat up the room fast? I just never dealt with one and am curious?

thanks

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmerchick, For some reason my computer didnt show me this new post.....I am sorry. To answer your question......we are using a small? - med size glass door front wood stove. We gathered rocks from lake superior to put on top of the stove (hubby welded a lip around the edge of the stove to put the rocks in) medium size rocks hmmmm.....about the size of eggs, lol, or a little larger. He starts a fire in the woodstove (not intense fire just a normal fire) lets it heat up and the rocks heat up gradually. We go in taking water with us and dribble water on the hot rocks wich in turn cause them to steam.
Just to let you know, cedar is the best wood to use for sauna's and the rocks should be a certain kind of rock or they can shatter. We do not have the right rocks, we take a chance everytime we heat them up as they can explode.
Had a sauna friday nite, it was wonderful.....LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks RM
that was great info. welding a lip on top of a wood stove to hold your rock....smart....that is they kind of stuff I wanted to know.

With the rocks. Maybe you can find an old fireplace screen and shape it into a domed cover over your rocks. That way if they "blow" it should keep big pieces from nailing ya in the head or something..LOL..hmm..might work!!!!

I know I can make one of these and am going to definitely do it.

I researched saunas and they truly say they help the body detox and such. I love a good sweat like that. I am going to slowly start to put this project together cause I WANT ONE!
LOL-LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For some reason my computer didnt show me this new post.....

**********RM

since I started this forum...I never knew how to know when someone posted to me????? is there a secret I am missing....lol

usually I just check all the threads, cause I just don't know who might have posted to me????

What am I missing..LOL

thanks

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have since realized that I can klick on the bottom and bring up all my posts, How stupid am I?
I was going to draw a pic and post it for you on how I sauna looks....cant do it because it is not a format accepted by SS. darn it. So I will take two pics and show you, OK?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I seen the "show your posts" and I will use that one...might help me..LOL

Love to see a pic whenever you can...thanks so much!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When we go to our property up north we have no elec except for bateries for our travel trailer & a generator(noisy, noisy, noisy). I enjoy the peace & quiet we get up there. We fill a water storage tank from our well to have running water(no water heater though) that we heat on the stove top for dishes & bathing. Plus we finally got a shower house(tent) & a few solar bags we fill in the morning & let set out in the sun & by evening we can take a hot shower. So it would be like camping on our property except we would have a lot more room in this house.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds like a fun time to me HM
Your property (the quiet) must be amazing....I was thinking that the other day---noise, noise, noise, everywhere. Just "nothing" is wonderful!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned in another thread to just leave a LONG length of black house curled up in the sun....maybe put it on a piece of black plastic and that will make ya hot water pretty fast......cause I sure get scalding water out of my hoses in the summer when I turn them on and OW, it can be bad......so it would be a good way to get hot water fast for some small dish washing and such.

just another idea for ya....hot water is always appreciated isn't it..LOL

Latest posts