Easing into it

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey, back to the out house thing. Could you build the little house, moon cut out on the door etc... I can just se it now. ;) sorry, and use a composting toilet? I have not done much reasearch but I know they have pottys like that. When my neighbors built their new home the septic wat the first to go in. They built a little out house right on top. It was temporary, but worked.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The one thing I could not give up my hot running water! I can do without elec & tv, but I need that hot running water.
The first thing I make everyone do is stop & listen to the "sound of silence" It is golden, then we get busy & unload the supplies from the truck & get the fridge lit as it runs only on propane except for it's battery for the control panel. We have a small solar trickle charge panel for that battery otherwise it will last 10 days on its own. I don't like running the generator as it is so noisy & we try to keep it as far away from the trailer as possible but you still hear it. I like to get up in the morning before everyone else & sit outside with my coffee & read my bible. Oh no I just realized I gave up coffee!! What will I do now? Maybe hot chocolate would work. I get a lot of reading done up there as I am always the first one up. Up with the crack of dawn!!! Why I have no idea, but I am.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can have a rubbermaid bin with a toilet seat on it...and use sawdust to keep adding to bury the waste and keep smells down. When it is full you can throw it into a compost pile for your flower gardens. I'm not kidding people do this:>) And you can put this little invention in any shed and have a modern day outhouse:>)

We have a sauna...it is actually an indoor electric sauna that is run on infrared lights. Works awesome and only costs about a quarter per use on the hydro bill. We use it alot in the winters. Oh, and it is portable so when we move we take it with us. Infrared is supposed to reach deeper into your muscles so toxin release and muscle relaxation is even better than with a regular steam sauna. What I like about ours is that you can breathe in it even at 150 degrees:>)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
On the Alaska experiment one group used a 5-gal bucket with a toliet seat on it & used the ashes from the wood stove to cover the odor. They do make toliet seats to fit 5-gal buckets you can find them in camping stores.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up with the crack of dawn!!! Why I have no idea, but I am.

****HM - that sounds heavenly!

you got to sleep when dark and wake when light. that is the way nature intended! not forced sleep with sleeping aids and such or forced wakenings with alarms and noisy garbage trucks and such!
natural! :)

On the Alaska experiment
*******Good show wasn't it. I liked that one alot!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are the pics of the sauna. hope they turn out. on the first page is the stove, behind it is the cement board backer to help with possible fires. And to the right of it is the METAL entrance door. not a good idea, but it was salvaged
316_pdr_0598.jpg

the second pic is of the other side of the room. this is where the benches and foot stool are.
316_pdr_0599.jpg

sorry the first pic is so dark, I had the flash on, oh yead the rocks are on top
just wanted to tell you that our coop!!! is visible thru the window

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW you lucky dog. I am sure that was hard work getting that complete and SOOO WORTH IT!

I am envious...I want one soooo bad! :(

Great for you! Enjoy the hound out of that sauna,,,,I would!

Now I will be planning on making one more than ever. Thanks so much for the pics. Showing me that means if you built one I surely can take a tackle at it also. First up, start a search for a free woodstove. And YES, I am the type that can find one!!!!!!

So clever and nice work. Love the benches!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
WOW you lucky dog. I am sure that was hard work getting that complete and SOOO WORTH IT!

I am envious...I want one soooo bad! :(

Great for you! Enjoy the hound out of that sauna,,,,I would!

Now I will be planning on making one more than ever. Thanks so much for the pics. Showing me that means if you built one I surely can take a tackle at it also. First up, start a search for a free woodstove. And YES, I am the type that can find one!!!!!!

So clever and nice work. Love the benches!

Thanks for sharing!!!!
Try the junkyard for the stove, watch the ads and put the word out you are looking for a window and lumber free from a house getting demolished. You will get there. If you need ideas or help, well, you know where to find us right?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Very pretty set up! When you going to post pics of the adjoining jacuzzi? :D .....and then invite all your friends for a dip... :cool:

Latest posts