Easing into it

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
is not as hard as it may seem. My husband and I shut everything off in the house one day a month. It requires a little foresight like getting all your water the night before, planning dinner the night before (unless you just want to eat sandwiches ), etc, etc.
We do not open the fridge or freezer during shut down, take our showers/baths the night before, fill a 5 gal bucket with water for the toilet and make sure we have batteries and lamp oil.
Does anyone else try to ease into going "without" this way? I think we will bump it up to two nites a month. We heat with wood tho so I do not know if someone without wood heat would be able to do this.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so cool to do...kinda like a wilderness night with amentities...LOL

I never tried anything like that. I don't think Tony could do it....LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It took us several tries. It felt wierd at first, now it is just.....nice.
So quiet
So quiet

You dont realize how much noise all your electrical appliances generate. Of course, sleeping without our fan going is very hard, very very hard. TylenolPM helps tho LOL.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Honestly that would be the biggest perk for me...the quiet.

At night I leave the small flourscent light on over the kitchen sink til I go to bed and that stupid thing has just enough of a HUMMM....I hear it but Tony swears it ain't there..HA HA HA

Noise pollution is awful. Nowhere seems quiet..... :( or quiet enough!!
LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Does anyone else try to ease into going "without" this way? I think we will bump it up to two nites a month. We heat with wood tho so I do not know if someone without wood heat would be able to do this.
I did "without" this way all the time growing up, so it wouldn't feel very strange to me. I think the kids would rather enjoy it for one night only, but then they would think I was crazy as a loon for even wanting to do it! They are older now and the "fun" of it would soon wear thin for them.

We have an outhouse! I so love that fact...it gives one a sense of security! :p I wonder what city folk do if the power is out and the water system is down?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Easing into it you ask? Hummm well, I had an energy audit done on my house. Our local electric Company pays a lady, to come check out your house. It did not cost me anything. Then they give you all the cfl light bulbs you want. I received 75 and they did not cost me a dime. Switched them all out this past weekend. There a bit different that the old bulbs. But at a 10-15% savings on my bill. I'll deal with it.
I bulit my home to take advantage of the southern light. So I turn almost no lights on for most of the day. As for water. I do exlarge loads of launrdy, and believe it or not they say using a dishwasher is very water efficent. I have not watered my lawnall summer. It's dead. My orchard is mostly hand watered. Yes it takes forever, but I guess thats my treat for the day. Time to stand still you know?

As for what do city folk do? I guess I am probably the closest thing on this board. I usually light the fire place, makes it kinda comfy. If it's not hot that is. I like to read, kids usally play a game. And of course there are allways house chores... As for the water thing. My Mom taught us the old fill the tub to flush the toilet trick. And being that I am attempting to be self sufficent I keep extra drinking water for my family. We are also big campers. So we have lanters, propane, portable generator etc...

Just my ways of easing in to it.. I think the go with no tv etc for the day would be great. I'll have to give it a try. But of course that would also mean limited computer time. At least untilll my battery die. ;):D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We haven't done any of that, but I would like to try it when the DH is home. Heck, I know I could do it, but him? hhhmmm :rolleyes: lol

I would LOVE to have an outhouse! I'm sure that sounds weird to some, but I really would. One out by the garden would work for me...save me from tracking in and out of the house, lol. Guys can go anywhere, and really, so can girls, but I know the DH would not take kindly to me squating nearby...rofl My dad lives on many acres in NC and built himself an outhouse..loves it!

My house is really quiet, except when the DH is home...he snores really loud! lol. Last night I was laying in bed reveling at the fact that I could only hear my heart beat..it was awsome! I used to be able to sleep no matter what noise was going on, but now? pffftt...I need the quiet! :)

I just need the wood stove and cookware (good cast iron) and I'll be good to go..oh, and a larger supply of books! :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do you know that, in some places, they are making people get rid of their outhouses...and they certainly won't allow people to build one! Calls them a "health issue"! I think its more along the lines of snooty-patooty folks not wanting to see that little building in their neighbor's yard and knowing what it contains. :rolleyes: :lol:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I can believe it! People have gotten so....so...uppity. Germaphobic beyond reason, politically correct to the extreme and rediculous, and b*&ching about everything under the sun. Drives me NUTS.

If its done correctly (and they could supply plans/codes for them) then it wouldn't be a problem. People are lazy and spoiled and just like to whine. :barnie :smack :thun

I need coffee.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D OK, just have to post this even tho this has really nothing to do with my thread. Wont it be nice for me when I can sit in the sauna this winter (ok- here- just so this kinda goes with the post) without electricity. Nice and hot. DH built one this summer. Out of scrap wood he hauled home, with a woodstove we recycled. MMMMMMMMM heat.