Easing into it

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
roosmom said:
You girls will get there. Just try not to get that empty nest syndrome. I have friends like that and, no offense to anyone, I dont understand it. You spend 18 yrs of your life taking care of them, shouldnt you be glad to NOT have them to take care of? Course, they do like to come home to roost every now and then when they are young adults, LOL.
That's what I thought too, until it happened to me! :p Now I am starting to feel the hurt....not about not being able to take care of them, just not hearing their voices, seeing their faces, having that laughter echo through the house. That sheer "boyness" of them...I will miss this. I can have the "I" with them at the age they are now...I just will miss all the fun we have and all the hugs....really, really, really will miss the hugs and kisses! Have I mentioned how much I will miss the hugs? :hit

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
roosmom----For me, I won't have the empty nest syndrome. My parents raised us up to WANT to move forward and seeing them WANT us to do well in life and get out of the house and live---I learned that from them......so for Nicole, when she is ready she can fly and I will help launch her.....and then I can turn her room into an exercise room and stop going to the gym..LOL-LOL

And of course she can come back to live if ever a problem, but I will do MY PERSONAL best to see that never happens..HA HA HA

if she needs help to stay out on her own, I will give her tons of help..HA HA

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
roosmom said:
You girls will get there. Just try not to get that empty nest syndrome. I have friends like that and, no offense to anyone, I dont understand it. You spend 18 yrs of your life taking care of them, shouldnt you be glad to NOT have them to take care of? Course, they do like to come home to roost every now and then when they are young adults, LOL.
That's what I thought too, until it happened to me! :p Now I am starting to feel the hurt....not about not being able to take care of them, just not hearing their voices, seeing their faces, having that laughter echo through the house. That sheer "boyness" of them...I will miss this. I can have the "I" with them at the age they are now...I just will miss all the fun we have and all the hugs....really, really, really will miss the hugs and kisses! Have I mentioned how much I will miss the hugs? :hit
Beekissed, here :hugs..
That is not what I meant, The friend wants her kids around her constantly, she has no life outside of her kids. She talks for 2hrs a nite on the phone with one of them. OK I WILL SHUT UP NOW.
Beekissed, Yours is normal, I miss the way my daughter and sons make me laugh. I do not really laugh til they are around, ya know? heres arother one :hugs
But for myself, No I do not have empty nest because I also agree with farmerchick. That is LIFE. yea def agree :ya

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you, Roosmom. :bouquet As I said once earlier, it is probably better to do this with a husband...at least you still have someone to talk to and hug.

Guess my boys kind of filled that spot for me and I didn't realize it. My boys and I have a pretty good relationship and their teen years weren't the big trauma that most people describe, so I didn't go through that phase of really wanting them to go, go, go! Maybe that's why the teen years are supposed to be stressful...to prepare the parents to WANT them to leave! :D :lol:

I refrained from hugging around on them and smothering them as much as one wants to do at times, kind of tapered that off a little as they grew. Kind of nice, though, to be walking through the house and a big ol' boy says, "Come here, Mom, I forgot to hug you today!" That's very nice! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have one that has already flown the coop. I miss the late night talks we had. But I am glad to see him being semi on his own(he lives with my parents & helps my mom out). But he works fulltime & takes care of his own needs. He is not afraid to tell me he loves me even in front of his friends. He will hug & kiss me in front of his friends too. Which I think is pretty darn cool. But I still have 2 more at home, a 9 1/2yr old & a 2 1/2yr old. So empty nest time is a long way off for us. And i have been teaching my children how to fend for themselves, cook, clean, laundry, etc, etc. Then dh will finally have time alone. I already ahd ds#1 when we met & married so we have never been without children, except for our wedding night & a couple of weekends(last one I got PG with dd).:ep

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed, I would have joined you but I didnt see this post last nite. darn it
Homesteadmom, I had 4 kids by EH. DH and I dont have any, so he doesnt have any biological. AS far as time away from kids go, I do understand. BUT if you are going to go and get PG when you get time off from kids, THEN NO MORE TIME OFF FOR YOU , rotfl

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Beekissed, I would have joined you but I didnt see this post last nite. darn it
Homesteadmom, I had 4 kids by EH. DH and I dont have any, so he doesnt have any biological. AS far as time away from kids go, I do understand. BUT if you are going to go and get PG when you get time off from kids, THEN NO MORE TIME OFF FOR YOU , rotfl
I got my tubes tied after dd was born so I am safe now!:clap Last one was too stressful sitting on pins & needles for 9 mos. Plus at 43 now I think I am done with getting up for 2am feedings.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D I did too, right after my 24yr old was born.

Maybe we should start a 43 club? I would have to join now cuz soon I will be older :p