eczema/psoriasis type problem

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH has a problem with his left forearm every fall. He gets like an eczema/psoriasis type itch problem. He has gone to the doctor and a steroid/antibiotic type cream is prescribed. He currently is using OTC Lanacane this year. He used the OTC Lanacane last year and it did work but this year it isn't working as well.

We are trying to find some type of herbs or something to mix as a cream that is natural. His arm itches so bad it is keeping him up at night. Icing it down helps. Today he tried Peppermint Oil. But is there some type of salve or something that we could make or buy that would help his problem. It only flairs up in the fall and with the prescribed medication is gone before winter.

ACV was also suggested to use and he is using that but it only helps for a little while. We need something that will get rid of the problem like the prescribed cream does.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DH has issues ALL year and adds olive oil to his bath every three days. It helps a lot with the dryness and itchiness. If it is itching that badly, the other two days try putting some aloe on it to keep it well hydrated.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has he ever tried a Benadryl type med. Like in case it's an allergy? I am not that good with herbal remedies. :idunno

Sorry

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Since it only happens this time of year it sounds like an allergy.

Edited because I went back and read your post again.

Try another brand other than Lanocaine. Sometimes we become immune to the properties of something. Benedryal cream maybe. I am not very good with herbals either. A baking soda paste made with vinegar can help the itching. But after doing a little research I can't find anything that will give long term relief. Pepperment oil, chickweed soaked in water to soften and placed on the area. Also, from personal experience, honey has great healing and antibiotic properties. I don't know that it would help the itch but it might make the area heal faster.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
My DH has a problem with his left forearm every fall. He gets like an eczema/psoriasis type itch problem. He has gone to the doctor and a steroid/antibiotic type cream is prescribed. He currently is using OTC Lanacane this year. He used the OTC Lanacane last year and it did work but this year it isn't working as well.

We are trying to find some type of herbs or something to mix as a cream that is natural. His arm itches so bad it is keeping him up at night. Icing it down helps. Today he tried Peppermint Oil. But is there some type of salve or something that we could make or buy that would help his problem. It only flairs up in the fall and with the prescribed medication is gone before winter.

ACV was also suggested to use and he is using that but it only helps for a little while. We need something that will get rid of the problem like the prescribed cream does.
The trigger might be a reaction to something he's wearing, or maybe even touching/carrying/gripping. Does he wear a watch near that area? Some people react to the bezel metal or just get dampness there that causes skin irritation eventually.
Is he carrying hay with bare arms? Or carrying something else that he does seasonally? Sometimes people carry loads with one side touching the body more, especially if they are using a tool to lift or maneuver the load.
Processing or stacking wood might be a trigger, if he is sensitive to some kind of tree sap or pollen that's on it. That would get on forearms easily.

Peppermint oil is pretty drying and dry skin tends to be itchier. The vinegar might help but if the skin is broken, it could sting. You might dilute it some.
Just trying to give you some ideas. Good luck.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find this US product works for me, whereas no UK product touches it.

ALOE PROPOLIS CREME

https://www.foreverliving.com/marketing/Product.do?code=051

I have used it for years whenever the condition flares up.....it takes a few days of applications (every few hours) for it to start to abate, but it takes the itching away very quickly.
I get iton my eyelids so it can drive you crazy, very fast.
I hope it works for him as fast.....!! :fl

Hattie

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
My dad has psoriasis and my nephew has excema. With excema it's important not to shower every day if you can help it. When you do shower, use the coolest water you can stand (hot water draws out more oils and dries your skin more). Only pat off water with a towel, no rubbing! When the skin is still damp, use a good creme to seal in the moisture. And of course drink lots of water! Also, vinegar rinses do help. I have an itchy scalp in just one spot, and vinegar rinses help. I also got an anti-itch liquid med to use, but I can't remember the name right now. I'll have to go look.

My dad soaks his hands sometimes in warm water when they act up. He also just slathers on the lotion all the time. They've gotten so much better though. He used to get splits and crack so badly he couldn't even open his hands!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH doesn't wear a watch. Also Benadryl doesn't do anything for him. Neither the cream nor pills. He did previously use another type of Lanacane but it wasn't strong enough. He did stack wood but I can't remember if his skin problem was going on before that or not. I will have to ask him. He might just have to face facts and go to the doctor but he tries to avoid that as much as possible.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One thing people do not think of when it comes to skin issues is vitamin D deficiency. Just a thought.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
You need to look for the cause of it while treating the symptoms, that way you could possibly eliminate it altogether.

Good luck!