eczema/psoriasis type problem

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I thought the gluten free crowd would have an answer to this. :idunno Well, since I know y'all have some amazing knowledge, I'm gonna try to bump this.
I believe it took me about 5 days also , it happened gradually, but i really wasn't paying attention. I stopped the gluten b/c i was low carbing it to lose weight. About two weeks into it, i cheated due to being hungry and not prepared. i was sick for 4 days, the first three were really bad

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
North- Thanks :) I started the avoidance period a bit too impulsively. Then I checked the kitchen cupboards. We have enough food to get by till next month pretty well, but not of the gluten free stuff. So I'll be doing the test in early December instead. Gives me more time to prepare anyway.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow!! So much good info! I don't have any skin sensitivities except to shaving cream w/ fragrances and bugs! Just brush a tarantula or beetle on me and I break out.

Which brings me to answer the original question. Sssting stop, not sure by who but I get at Whole Foods. It has anti-inflammatories, healers and this and that in it to help any skin issue. When my SO got a cyst on his butt, after I lanced (do I get wife of the year award considering where exactly it was located?) I smeared that on his to heal and keep swelling down.

I LOVE it.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CJW said:
I hope it does help someone!

They wont come down for Thanksgiving, and that is ok-this is her only holiday that she really likes. I plan on making a meal to bring up there (I am thinking Lasagna!) and we will still all eat together, and I love helping her make their dinner. I just have to convince her that it isn't HER that is the problem, it's the gluten.

She is in her late 60s, and they grew up on a different kind of food than we are eating now. She raised her kids on home-grown veggies, wild game, and local beef. Now that we are raising our own, she hasn't done the research as to why our current conventional foods aren't as "good" as they were back in the 40s-50s-60s-70s.

They get boxes of expired food from their local/county government. She stores it all away in the pantry and rotates the old food to the front. They have given us cereal that had been expired for 5+ years. I just can't give that to my kids. As nutritionally low as those types of foods are, having them sit around for years on end just doesn't seem like a good choice for my family. She is set in her ways.

Right now, she tries to give us processed bricks of cheese that they got back in 2005 (she dates all of the food when they get it). I politely decline, since my boys are also dairy free at the moment. (I am trying to do another elimination diet for them-it is working!) I know she is annoyed, but I just choose not to. She does the same thing with expired canned juices (which, we rarely drink juice-if they want apple juice-they eat an apple), tuna, and peanut butter.

Oh jeez...me and my novels! lol Sorry!
Lol totaly know the feeling! We had moved in with my SO's grandmother and within two weeks we went through her pantry and took out everything that was more than a year old :rolleyes: As far as the GF thing goes, I was misdiagnosed with Crohns when I was still living in montana, and didn't discover it was gluten intolerance until I moved to colorado.
I feel so much better, but now I've developed this stupid red bumpy thing on parts of my body, and the back of my neck keeps itching and flaking something fierce - head too. The dr says its a combination of still getting gluten from somewhere, psoriasis(sp?)/eczama and the neck is probably a staph infection which I should treat with antibacterial soap. I think instead I'll try some of the remedies ya'll have mentioned here, plus somewhere I read to cut out sugar and white flour. Well, the flour ain't a problem :D but I'm trying to figure out if they mean all suger, including what you get naturally in fruit and honey, or just added sugar, like the white and brown stuff you get in bags?
*sigh* I hate hate hate cold showers!

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
Lol totaly know the feeling! We had moved in with my SO's grandmother and within two weeks we went through her pantry and took out everything that was more than a year old :rolleyes: As far as the GF thing goes, I was misdiagnosed with Crohns when I was still living in montana, and didn't discover it was gluten intolerance until I moved to colorado.
I feel so much better, but now I've developed this stupid red bumpy thing on parts of my body, and the back of my neck keeps itching and flaking something fierce - head too. The dr says its a combination of still getting gluten from somewhere, psoriasis(sp?)/eczama and the neck is probably a staph infection which I should treat with antibacterial soap. I think instead I'll try some of the remedies ya'll have mentioned here, plus somewhere I read to cut out sugar and white flour. Well, the flour ain't a problem :D but I'm trying to figure out if they mean all suger, including what you get naturally in fruit and honey, or just added sugar, like the white and brown stuff you get in bags?
After reading more about enzymes and such, Canned foods have very low levels of the natural enzymes, so I am not surprised that our seniors (and even our young people!) are having multitudes of issues. My M-I-L is now dealing with an itchy scalp---she thinks it might be psoriasis---which is an autoimmune disease. Enzymes increase your immune system, so...Oh well, everything I say goes in one ear and out the other with her. :)

As far as accidental contamination...I have been trying to be aware of where my contaminations are coming from-my husband eats gluten foods (cookies or crackers, etc), and if he doesn't brush his teeth after ward, if I kiss him, I will get a canker sore. :( I still get contaminated whenever I go to my in-laws. Although-the last time I went there, I made dinner at my house and brought it there. She wanted to add her own gravy... :rolleyes: ARGH! I didn't let her though! :)

A sugar free diet would be anything that had any sort of sugar in it...fruit, tomatoes, beets, carrots, corn, beet or cane sugar, syrups, honey, etc. But if you go sugar free-please don't go to the artificial sweeteners.

I really don't think I could do it-or any strict diet like that. Gluten free seems easier since I know how I feel, but I almost went on the GAPS diet and when I found out I had to give up potatoes, I about cried. I suppose if I really HAD to, I would...but I would do it kicking and screaming!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CJW said:
colowyo0809 said:
After reading more about enzymes and such, Canned foods have very low levels of the natural enzymes, so I am not surprised that our seniors (and even our young people!) are having multitudes of issues. My M-I-L is now dealing with an itchy scalp---she thinks it might be psoriasis---which is an autoimmune disease. Enzymes increase your immune system, so...Oh well, everything I say goes in one ear and out the other with her. :)

As far as accidental contamination...I have been trying to be aware of where my contaminations are coming from-my husband eats gluten foods (cookies or crackers, etc), and if he doesn't brush his teeth after ward, if I kiss him, I will get a canker sore. :( I still get contaminated whenever I go to my in-laws. Although-the last time I went there, I made dinner at my house and brought it there. She wanted to add her own gravy... :rolleyes: ARGH! I didn't let her though! :)

A sugar free diet would be anything that had any sort of sugar in it...fruit, tomatoes, beets, carrots, corn, beet or cane sugar, syrups, honey, etc. But if you go sugar free-please don't go to the artificial sweeteners.

I really don't think I could do it-or any strict diet like that. Gluten free seems easier since I know how I feel, but I almost went on the GAPS diet and when I found out I had to give up potatoes, I about cried. I suppose if I really HAD to, I would...but I would do it kicking and screaming!
Yeah, the whole SFD thing is going to kill me. And don't worry, I can't stand the artificial stuff. It tastes, well, artificial :D so, I'm going to instead do a gradual let down. Still faster than CJ does gradual (two months after he said he was giving up added sugar and he's still gradually doing it :rolleyes: ) but gradual just the same. I am going to no longer put sugar in anything. And I think I'll drink my iced tea plain. But, I'll probably have a spoonful of honey once a day just to keep me going :) It's going to be hard enough just doing the no added sugar and no chocolate bit! Me! a chocoholic giving up chocolate?!!? I've been eating it since I was 2! Never!! I mean, yes, yes I will. Because I have to. *sigh* :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
CJW said:

They wont come down for Thanksgiving, and that is ok-this is her only holiday that she really likes. I plan on making a meal to bring up there (I am thinking Lasagna!) and we will still all eat together, and I love helping her make their dinner. I just have to convince her that it isn't HER that is the problem, it's the gluten.

She is in her late 60s, and they grew up on a different kind of food than we are eating now. She raised her kids on home-grown veggies, wild game, and local beef. Now that we are raising our own, she hasn't done the research as to why our current conventional foods aren't as "good" as they were back in the 40s-50s-60s-70s.

They get boxes of expired food from their local/county government. She stores it all away in the pantry and rotates the old food to the front. They have given us cereal that had been expired for 5+ years. I just can't give that to my kids. As nutritionally low as those types of foods are, having them sit around for years on end just doesn't seem like a good choice for my family. She is set in her ways.

Right now, she tries to give us processed bricks of cheese that they got back in 2005 (she dates all of the food when they get it). I politely decline, since my boys are also dairy free at the moment. (I am trying to do another elimination diet for them-it is working!) I know she is annoyed, but I just choose not to. She does the same thing with expired canned juices (which, we rarely drink juice-if they want apple juice-they eat an apple), tuna, and peanut butter.

Celiacs has an interesting rash that it causes, if a gluten free diet is not turned to soon enough.
It will go away on its own over time, if you are strict about diet.
The drugs that are used, have a high risk for kidney issues.
Topically and internally, you can use raw coconut oil to help with all the issues related to the rash.
Adding in high doses of fermented cod liver oil will also give your body a huge immune boost.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
colowyo0809 said:
CJW said:

Celiacs has an interesting rash that it causes, if a gluten free diet is not turned to soon enough.
It will go away on its own over time, if you are strict about diet.
The drugs that are used, have a high risk for kidney issues. Topically and internally, you can use raw coconut oil to help with all the issues related to the rash.
Adding in high doses of fermented cod liver oil will also give your body a huge immune boost.
That there is why I refuse to use over the counter or prescription meds and am doing my darndest to fight this homeopatically :)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I need some thoughts on this one.
So, i have this patchy scaly dried pick at comes off stuff on the back of my neck. It goes up into my hairline producing "dandruff" (which it isn't, but whatever).
My thinking is that the best way to get at this stuff is to hit it from two fronts. Internally, by taking certain herbals, and externally. The external is what I want your thoughts on :)

My thinking is to shave my head, so I can access the scalp better, and then use an (if possible) organic/natural cream/ointment/poultice on my scalp and neck, and then maybe tie a bandana kinda like cancer patients do to cover the scalp (partly so people don't have to stare at my bald head and partly so they don't have to stare at whatever may be on my bald head :) )
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Critiques?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
Ok, I need some thoughts on this one.
So, i have this patchy scaly dried pick at comes off stuff on the back of my neck. It goes up into my hairline producing "dandruff" (which it isn't, but whatever).
My thinking is that the best way to get at this stuff is to hit it from two fronts. Internally, by taking certain herbals, and externally. The external is what I want your thoughts on :)

My thinking is to shave my head, so I can access the scalp better, and then use an (if possible) organic/natural cream/ointment/poultice on my scalp and neck, and then maybe tie a bandana kinda like cancer patients do to cover the scalp (partly so people don't have to stare at my bald head and partly so they don't have to stare at whatever may be on my bald head :) )
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Critiques?
My ex used to swear by a good sunning. He woul go out and sun (just shy of a burn) his legs every summer and that would take care of the psoriasis until winter. That suggests maybe vitamin D cream would help?