eczema/psoriasis type problem

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
That info may really help people. Hope you feel back to normal soon. I suggest you invite her to Thanksgiving instead of having her cook it. She could get a break and you wouldn't have to recover later.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope it does help someone!

They wont come down for Thanksgiving, and that is ok-this is her only holiday that she really likes. I plan on making a meal to bring up there (I am thinking Lasagna!) and we will still all eat together, and I love helping her make their dinner. I just have to convince her that it isn't HER that is the problem, it's the gluten.

She is in her late 60s, and they grew up on a different kind of food than we are eating now. She raised her kids on home-grown veggies, wild game, and local beef. Now that we are raising our own, she hasn't done the research as to why our current conventional foods aren't as "good" as they were back in the 40s-50s-60s-70s.

They get boxes of expired food from their local/county government. She stores it all away in the pantry and rotates the old food to the front. They have given us cereal that had been expired for 5+ years. I just can't give that to my kids. As nutritionally low as those types of foods are, having them sit around for years on end just doesn't seem like a good choice for my family. She is set in her ways.

Right now, she tries to give us processed bricks of cheese that they got back in 2005 (she dates all of the food when they get it). I politely decline, since my boys are also dairy free at the moment. (I am trying to do another elimination diet for them-it is working!) I know she is annoyed, but I just choose not to. She does the same thing with expired canned juices (which, we rarely drink juice-if they want apple juice-they eat an apple), tuna, and peanut butter.

Oh jeez...me and my novels! lol Sorry!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I always find it interesting to read the stories of how people got to GF.
My Hubby thought I was imagining things when I declared that my girls were G sensitive (of course that was after much reading and research, followed by pulling some old lab work to review myself). Turns out that not only was I right but he needs to be GF as well.

He gets achy joints and really bad acid reflux and um, *other* digestive issues. Both of my girls have completely different responses, one has migraines, difficulty gaining weight, irregular periods, and frequent diarrhea, the other DD has belly aches, leg pain and weak enamel on her teeth.. leading to rapidly growing cavities.

A Dr. would not connect all three as having the same issue, but all of their issues have completely gone since getting off gluten.....not one migraine (they were ever 6 weeks), no cavities & belly aches, Hubby got off of his prilosec after 10 years and the arthritis that we thought was developing is gone.

Crazy!

We are starting a new insurance program on Dec 1 and I am anxious to see if we are covered for a naturopath because I would like to delve deeper into potential food sensitivities.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I'm gonna try to go wheat free and milk free for a trial period to see if either of them are connected to the eczema I've been having.

It takes 3 days of no milk products for me to get clear of my sinus and similar dairy symptoms.

How long is it likely to take to clear the wheat? I don't get gastro-intestinal symptoms from it. Just trying to figure out how soon I should start looking for a change, if wheat/gluten is contributing.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I thought the gluten free crowd would have an answer to this. :idunno Well, since I know y'all have some amazing knowledge, I'm gonna try to bump this.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started noticing a difference after about 5 days. But I was (and still am) militant about being g-free when I am at home. It wasn't allowed in the house for the first 5 weeks!

I also drink lots of water (not tap water!) so I think that helps my body recover quickly. When I get contaminated, it takes me now about 4 days to feel "better" and about a week-ten days for my canker sores to go away. (My liver sores on my tongue-I drink a couple cups of dandelion tea and they go away within 3-4 days.)

I also gain 2-3 lbs when I get contaminated-takes about a week to come off. I made our own meals and brought them up to my in-loves--I didn't gain anything this weekend, and no new canker sores either!

Yeehaw!

uvia

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When I had psoriasis I made a list of things to try and tried them all, the only two things that had any effect of me were a cream containing propolis (the bees thing) which works a lot on me, and making sure I do not wear wool or artificial fibers jumpers directly on the skin, I have found that it irritated my skin and caused psoriasis, so now I wear at least a long sleeved shirt under any jumpers.
Hope that helps.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
CJW - I can't move out for the avoidance period, but this was my first whole day of not eating any wheat/gluten. I used to work in a health food store that had many Gluten free customers, so I'm familiar with what else to avoid. Hubby has different food habits so we are used to preparing our own food. Not always convenient, but it makes this easier.
Big coincidence- I started drinking extra water yesterday with dandelion extract in it. I figured it would help the cleansing process along. Really felt like I needed yogurt yesterday, so I starting avoiding gluten first and will drop milk products soon. Thanks for the help.

Uvia- :welcome and thanks for the tip. I actually tried raw honey on my hands at night. It helped with the insane itching and dryness (eczema) some, but I couldn't do it in the day and be outside. I didn't want bees to try to reclaim their honey. :p
BTW- I wrapped my hands in cloth strips to keep the world from being sticky sweet.
Wool is okay for me, but it's not cold enough here to bother wearing it yet.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband gets splits on his fingers and sometimes on his face every winter. And I have dermatitis on my face and scalp. The one thing that helps BOTH of those problems is Borage Oil.

If you take one borage oil capsule once a day, it works from the inside out. It is more effective than topical treatments. Helps with brittle nails and split ends on hair also - it strengthens them as they are forming during growth.

There are a couple of vitamin deficiencies (I forget which) that can cause eczema, or dermatitis also. When I started taking one of the B vitamins it got better, but I can't remember which it was, since I had to take a lot of them at that time.

Laura
Mom to Eight, Web Designer, Milker of Goats, Feeder of Chickens

Latest posts