Edwardian Farm - Update post 1!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yes, I am seeing that they are just doing a sampling of time-period things. Though breeding all the animals is going to be a lot of work come baby time.

I just think of bread and jam as some of the easiest things to make, so I wouldn't want to be giving up my hard earned meat for that!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ruth said (and I have read in other history books) that meat was rare for the working and peasant classes. I imagine part of that was selling off the livestock because they needed hard cash to pay taxes???

But they had chickens, ducks, geese...right? Wouldn't they be eating a lot of eggs? (Well, at least through spring and summer.) What about all those extra roosters after the spring hatch? I know some would be sold, but they would have eaten a few?

Also they mentioned that oysters were once considered peasant food and it wasn't until after pollution killed the oyster beds that oysters became food for rich folk. I bet they were getting a lot of fish too.

This would explain where they were getting their protein if they weren't getting it through meat.

I know when I sold items at the farmer's market, all the pretty stuff went out for sale and we kept the ugly but still fresh and delicious stuff for ourselves.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm watching the Victorian Pharmacy one now...
It has the Ruth lady in it;...but not peter and the other guy.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I want to see the one they did that was based on the 16th? century.
Its not on Youtube though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
redhen said:
I'm watching the Victorian Pharmacy one now...
It has the Ruth lady in it;...but not peter and the other guy.
Wow! The water cure thing seems very sensible!
I am actually tempted to try it, cause I know for a fact that cold showers really help in recovery from Adrenal Fatigue.

ETA Not all of it of course! An ice cold douche! That can't be healthy!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just watched the first video, and look forward to seeing the rest. It is such a slow process to load them on my laptop that I think I shall be able to enjoy them over quite a long period :rolleyes:;):lol:. I am pleased that the people doing this seem to have some experience/knowledge of what they are doing, and the period they are working in. Back when I still had TV reception I watched something similar, about pioneers in Canada somewhere, where the participants were just ordinary folks who hadn't a clue (but were getting paid); I guess that is the idea behind the *reality* shows that seem so popular? I don't know, that pioneer one was the only one I've ever watched. It annoyed me, because, instead of being a portrayal of the way things were, it just showed a bunch people with a 20th century mindset trying to live in 19th century conditions with very little knowledge. It was more a comment on our time, I felt, than anything about the real pioneers. This one, however, looks like it might teach me something.
And aren't those Light Sussex chickens pretty?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I am pleased that the people doing this seem to have some experience/knowledge of what they are doing, and the period they are working in. Back when I still had TV reception I watched something similar, about pioneers in Canada somewhere, where the participants were just ordinary folks who hadn't a clue (but were getting paid); I guess that is the idea behind the *reality* shows that seem so popular? I don't know, that pioneer one was the only one I've ever watched. It annoyed me, because, instead of being a portrayal of the way things were, it just showed a bunch people with a 20th century mindset trying to live in 19th century conditions with very little knowledge. It was more a comment on our time, I felt, than anything about the real pioneers. This one, however, looks like it might teach me something.
I completely agree with you! And it's nice also because they're actually excited about what they're doing instead of those newbie nincompoops who whine and complain the whole time! :lol:

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I want to see the one they did that was based on the 16th? century.
Its not on Youtube though.
Darn! I'd love to see that one! Whats the name of it?

he just put up episode 10 for the Edwardian Farm. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm thru the victorian on and up to episode 7 in edwardian! i just love it!

and yep, i didnt like the pioneer one b/c of all the complaining. i loved it tho when one of them ditched the show, walked to a bar and had a beer. i laughed pretty good at that one. and even back then i knew they were milking the goats wrong
;-)

we laughed at one of the episodes last nite - the day in the life one - um.. thats kinda our day right there. 'ceptin' i'm not washing the floor at 6 in the AM. when they were getting a gander my hubby (who hates the lot of them) was yelling at the TV "dont do it! dont get that stupid gander! take him back!"

ha! i still love OD my mean gander and i dont care who knows.
;-)

i'm totally loving the series. but those guys and the chasing of the sheep and cows is just so stressful for me! i think our grandpa woulda gone out there with his stock cane, smacked them boys for runnin' the stock, and gently herded everyone where they should have been.

i wish they would have shown the butchering process tho.. but i'm guessing it would have been too much for most folks.

i'm on a mission to watch the rest of it today. whoooot!