What do you do to increase egg and meat production within your homestead flock?

• Other~feel free to explain other methods you use to increase production.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All of my birds are dual purpose. Some are just better at one purpose or the other. I don't like the layer breeds that quit after a year. We've had terrible luck with them, so we're done. We also have breeds that have different specialties- Dorkings lay in colder weather and sit early (and have more breast meat, which I like), the Cornish isn't a great layer but they lay OK and add meat quality, and the Dominique, my personal favorite, is a good all around bird but lean a bit more towards egg laying than meat quantity (they do taste delicious, just a little lighter bird).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's where selective breeding comes in handy. According to the source of the dual purpose breed, breeder focus varies...if from a hatchery, the more popular dual purpose breeds like RIR, BA, BR, etc. are focused on more laying performance than meat building. If from a breeder they tend to focus more on conformation, which leans towards the meat building side of the carcass.

I didn't include BOs in that list as for years now the BO bird has been bred by hatcheries more as a pet breed, with varying results of too large eggs or unsteady hormone production, too light of frame, too much food consumption, poor feather quality(most BOs nowadays spend life with a bare back if there is a rooster in the flock), and poor hardiness or longevity of laying life. Back in the day, BOs were a steady and reliable dual purpose breed and could both lay well and also put on meat economically, but since breeding focus has changed for them, they are no longer a breed I ever consider in a DP flock.

But, whatever the DP breed chosen, if the genetics on hand have any good building material and a person is willing, they can build themselves a true DP bird by the judicious culling and breeding up of that particular breed so they can return to a more true DP status of being both an excellent layer and providing a meaty carcass.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think one would be better off buying good stock from a real breeder and not a hatchery than trying to do all that stuff. It might take years to get something you can buy today, if you could find it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought some Red Dorkings from an APA judge and they were awesome birds...it would have taken me years to have achieved what he did...and it did take him years.

But, I did, through selective breeding create a line of pygmy goats that could win in the show ring and still deliver their kids - which was a big problem in the breed at the time.

I think your passion dictates what you want to do and how you do it. Pygmy goats were my passion and I spent 20 years working on the breed....but a chicken - I'd just as soon buy a good one!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do love to mess with 'em....and cross 'em and see what I get! But, as far as really improving on a singular, particular breed....it's beyond me, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right yeah we have no interest in perfecting a breed either! I am maybe interested enough in my goats to do that, lol, and we want to do that a little bit with the turkeys to help preserve the breed but no... Not the chickens!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do admire the folks who have the passion and knowledge to improve the breeds. Bee's flock is gorgeous and if it weren't for the fact that I'm not a fan of white birds, I'd probably have some.

I find that I'm getting some beautiful big, meaty birds from my Faverolle roos. Who'da thunk it?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, any selective breeding I do will just be in the natural course of keeping my flock. But I would like to incorporate a couple breeding/brooding rooms if I build a new coop. I figure I've got lots of years ahead of me. Who knows what improvements I may have in twenty+ years?
I think if I could, I would want two lines of decent layers that cross for a better meat bird. But I don't know yet.
At least with the dual purpose I can't go wrong, like NH said, every bird becomes a part of our sustainable food chain :)