What do you do to increase egg and meat production within your homestead flock?

• Other~feel free to explain other methods you use to increase production.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Egg counts went up sharply today....a few days ago we were getting two a day and have had that happening for most of January. Then it went to 4, then yesterday it was 5, and today it was 8.

Tis the season! :weee

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wish your hens could come have a word with my hens and tell them how it's done. I haven't seen an egg in weeks. Actually, between the 3 hens I have, I think we got 6 eggs in total over the last 5 months. They can be GLAD they are pets! ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't want to talk about how long it's been since I've had an egg. Soon... Turkeys will start any day now too!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been getting two or three days most of the winter - until we had the big freeze(s). Everything stopped for about two weeks, but they've started getting back into it. I've been getting two or three a day again. Really glad too cuz I just refuse to buy store eggs...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I won't buy store eggs either :sick I barely eat my own hens' eggs! I left the last 3 I got in the fridge to remind me what they look like :\ These girls had better start laying before I have to toss them (eggs)! lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The silkies get us through the winter here. They are decent layers...when not broody. Sometimes it seems they are always broody

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wish your hens could come have a word with my hens and tell them how it's done. I haven't seen an egg in weeks. Actually, between the 3 hens I have, I think we got 6 eggs in total over the last 5 months. They can be GLAD they are pets! ;)

You'll be getting new ones soon, won't you, Sumi? That will boost your flock production in time. Have you been able to find a source for breeds you like?

I think if my hens had a word with your hens, your hens would be kissing your feet when you walk by and bowing in your presence! :D My hens would tell them what happens to slackers in my coop! :gig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Beekissed :lol: My hens are double lucky that I don't eat chicken meat!

I'm planning to get some ducks in Spring. And maybe some more chickens, but since I'm in a village with near neighbours, I am not going to keep a rooster, so I'm going to hold off on the breeds I want for now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay ducks! I love ducks. I miss mine... I might have to get a few too, I've been plotting lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I never had any, but I hatched some ducklings for a friend and fell in love with the little ones. And I keep hearing how great they are to keep, so I decided to get us 3-4 this coming spring. Just for fun :)

Latest posts