Egg Prices

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Free, I like your idea of adding articles on the benefits of eggs from our backyard chickens.
I think the price you charge really does depend on your locale. If the people in your area don't care about the quality of the eggs or the quality of life the chickens have that lay the eggs, then they won't care to pay extra. They often think that since they are getting them from the farmer direct, that they should be cheaper!
I live in an urban area in a county where the 60's hippies moved to from San Francisco. There are also a lot of artists living here, so this is not a back woods community and people are willing to pay higher prices for food that was grown organically, locally, ecologically and high standard of quality of life for the creatures and the farmers that do the work. Of course there are also plenty of folks who don't give a hoot.
Yep, I live in a more urban area, too, so I can get a higher price. If I couldn't, I would drastically reduce my flock and let the little ingrates buy their eggs from the store! :lol: I actually don't sell too many this year, since I did not order new chicks. It got too crazy with the new goats and turkeys and I couldn't deal with more fragile critters! Hopefully my little Dominique will hatch out at least a couple of pullets. The guineas hid their nest where I can't find it, so that is another couple of eggs a day that I am not getting.

We eat a LOT of eggs here. I had 4 for lunch today! I don't usually eat so many in one sitting, but I'd forgotten to eat breakfast (had a pint of fresh, warm, raw milk and felt full, so forgot to eat) so I had to get lots of protein into me to get through my challenging group today. They all eat the typical American diet, so with my lovely eggs, it is pretty easy to be several steps ahead of them..... :D

eta: challenging group of massage therapy students, that is...

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I sell mine fore $3 a dozen

They are organic feed, and mostly free range.

Organic eggs in the stores around me sell from $2-$5

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried giving some away and nobody wanted them (except for Mom). :idunno OK, their loss. Then we let people know they would be $2 a dozen and we can't keep up! Good thing I decided to double the flock this spring.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We tried a price increase and it doesn't work. 2 bucks is the top of the market here. We are just thrilled to get a little something for the eggs, it's a total bonus.

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have a friend a couple of counties over...she was selling her eggs for $2.00 a dozen....they increased their prices...$2.25 if they are picked up from the farm...$3.00 delivered...she said she has more orders than ever..

I have been selling mine for $2.00 a dozen....I think I need to go up...my hens lay HUGE eggs....I am thinking of putting a flyer in with the eggs on the benefits of free range...my girls are MOSTLY free range...I give a little scratech, or laying pellets occasionally...God feeds the jaybirds, the sparrows, the crows, the bluebirds, the robins....I think he can feed my girlies, too...I did a study with my kids one time on the numbers of bugs there are on an acre of ground....There are so many bugs in one acre of space, that it is a wonder there is any room for people!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Well, I started selling at $3 /doz. i wan't selling any, so I dropped to $2/doz. I have one friend who pays me $2.50/doz, cuz that's what she would spend at the grocery store for the best eggs.

competition around here sells for $2/doz.

I understand about not undersellling your product, but what am I gonna do with all these eggs if I cant sell them? Besides, the money I make from the sales more than makes up for the cost of feed i put back into the hens.
I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't back down. That will give the message that your product is the same or inferior as those with lower prices.

Are yours cage free? Free range? Antibiotic and hormone free? Can they run around, dust bathe, and roost? Let people know!

I have a handout on how my girls live so people know exactly what they are paying for. Homemade yogurt and sunflower seeds for treats is not the same as caged on corn.

Also, see the studies on nutrition. People are paying for eggs at least twice as dense in nutrients (if pastured) as factory eggs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you need to educate people. Help them understand WHY they should be willing to pay more. Also, find the people who already "get it." How about local CSAs or co-ops? Posting ads in local health-food stores? Once you find ANYbody who "gets it" about real, fresh food, they will tell their friends, family and coworkers until you will have to start getting more pullets to keep up with the demand!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I tried giving some away and nobody wanted them (except for Mom). :idunno OK, their loss. Then we let people know they would be $2 a dozen and we can't keep up! Good thing I decided to double the flock this spring.
Hah! That's hilarious! I think many people don't value something that is free. Like, what's wrong with it that you're GIVING it away? Not me--I'll take your free eggs :) So glad you're selling like crazy now.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So how do you all package your eggs when you sell them? Do you purchase egg boxes for them? or have your neighbors bring their own baskets?

If you do purchase boxes do you have a link for a good supplier. I don't like those those styrofoam type as they are not biodegradable.