Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We purchased our little patch of heaven in December of 2008. It is 4 acres with large 3 bed/ 2 bath house, barn, garage, chicken coop, and root cellar. The riding arena has been converted into our garden(65'x35'). Had it tilled up this week and the fence is almost complete around it. We have started with our chickens. We currently have 17 Rhode Island red chicks about 3 weeks old now and 60 broilers that are 2 weeks old. I have been happily married for 10 years and have a 17 yr old son and a 22 month old son. The pasture will soon be replanted with natural grass of sometype (any suggestions :)) The previous owners had horses and they ate everthing including the bark of the trees. I have 10 large trees to bring down this summer. Fruit trees are going in soon. I will post pics asap.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well i am back after a long long absence. Life was a bit rough for us but things are heading in a mostly good direction now. My wife is now 2 years after open heart surgery. Almost lost her but thanks to amazing drs i still have her. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in April.
To make a long story short we ended up in oregon and her heart surgery kept us here and changed the direction we were headed.
Ended up homeless for a bit.
Va finally agreed i am partially disabled from my service!! Woohoo!
And recently have bought 16 acres in southern kentucky. Raw land.
Moving at end of July to start homesteading it.
Wanted to be there sooner but heart dr wants to see her one more time before we move.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Almost have everything packed. Then we start the long trip tomorrow after dw's heart dr appt. We have compressed our stuff down to what will fit in our yukon. I am an amazing packer so a lot lol.
Now praying for a safe trip across this great country.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
House will be delivered tomorrow afternoon!! Woohoo!
Just found some fencing cheap. Planning to have chcikens eating bugs asap.
Also found some young layers.
Fresh eggs are coming soon!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know yet about a well.
We canned tomatoes that we bought from a farm. Not same as our own but better than store bought. 10 quarts.... not enough but better than nothing. Also froze some bell peppers and onions for fajitas.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well my dw got her letter for a service dog yesterday. She has ptsd pretty bad. We went to the pound several times and finally found the dog for her.
We have a dog trainer here that does the training and accepts payments! 100 a month is easier than 700 all at once.
His name is cylde and he is a year old.
Screenshot_20191018-202345_Chrome.jpg

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well new dog is settling in. House training went very quick. Stairs took a bit longer.
I got a part time job doing maintenance at the apartments we live in. This should provide enough to get our house done. And some needed purchases

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we have decide to live small. Wont be long until ds is grown so why waste money. We are buying a 12'x40' "shed". I will insulate and drywall immediately after it is delivered and set on its foundation. Well run electric before i do those lol.
We were out at lowes today pricing stuff. With me being a handyman i can finish it off without paying someone. Going with vinyl plank flooring through out.
Also added a new member to our family today. Ds got a lab mix puppy for free from a guy at walmart. He is already in love lol.
Our pit bull is like what is that and what is it doing here lol.
He has wanted his own dog for awhile and glad we could make it happen finally.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well even as far south as we now live winter still comes! This move should have happened a month or so earlier but we are here and need to get things moving. I thank the lord for the blessings he has given us on this journey.
And thanks to the VA for admitting i am disabled from my service. Couldn't have done this without those things.