Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have friends who moved from Mass. with their 12 y.o. son. They lived in a tent while the barn was being built. Then, they lived in the barn with their goats, geese, chickens, and parakeet while the house was being built. My friend tells of the parakeet sleeping under the newspaper at the bottom of her cage to stay warm. It was cold enough that there was a bit of ice in the bird's water in the morning. Apparently the cold weather didn't bother her too much. She laid eggs!!! Took an awful lot of those eggs to make an omelet!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well the camper fell through.... 3 hours into the trip the seller messages me that he sold it to some one else..... i had an agreement in place but oh well. So i purchased our 'shed' instead. It is supposed to be delivered monday or Tuesday. We spent our first night on the property last night. It was beautiful looking up at all the stars though the tent.
Did some exploration digging. We have clay soil and lots of rocks. So some prep work to do on the soil.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fence in the area for your garden and put your new chickens there. Even the broilers will scratch around if they are given a chance. I fed mine 2X a day and they spent alot of time scratching and being chickens. They were very healthy, very clean and very big at 12 weeks.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20190828_154103.jpg

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
True reverse osmosis is amazing. The submarine i was stationed on had the first ro in the navy. It took seawater and made it to clean to drink. The things they sell at hardware stores is sadly not that. True reverse osmosis takes high pressure. But you dont want water to clean to drink either. I am planning a gravity filter for our drinking water. Easy to make yourself. Several inline filters for your whole house is a good idea if you have crappy water. Yellow water isnt great for laundry either

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Clyde is showing that he is still got some puppy in him. Chewing. Any tissue or paper towel he can get to gets shredded.
Well 2 days done in the new job. Interesting issue today. Older resident that lives alone said her bathroom sink wasnt draining properly. Disassembled the drain plumbing and found a clothes pin wrapped in yarn.... she just shook her head lol. All new drain piping had to go in as the other was so old it broke taking it apart. 2nd bathroom drain replacement in 2 days. I hope there arent more tomorrow

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Initially we will be in a camper. I have carpentry and building skills so we are looking at all of our options. See what is the best way and affordable. Our budget will be tight at least for a while as i seek a job to bring in more $

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been down but never out!
We are about 4 hours from portland on the coast of oregon. Beautiful but expensive. She had her heart surgery in corvalis oregon.
We will be in the mt vernon area of kentucky. Always looking for neighbors!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have the trees, why not use them. You could make enough rough cut studs to frame out your house. If you got a planer, you could make the floor. You might could even make enough to clad the outside in lapping one over the other, then caulking the joints.

I highly recommend putting a radiant heat barrier film on the roof, before putting the metal on. It cuts the heat by as much as 15 or 20 degrees. I have it on my sheep barn, they will go to a pasture, then stand at the gate when full, yelling at me to go back home to ruminate. LOL LOL

https://www.radiantguard.com/produc...MIw7DMpeCY4wIVk8BkCh20fAcGEAQYAiABEgJgvfD_BwE

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes it is. Packing everthing and never moving again! Hopefully lol.
Planning about a week for the trip as we are stopping to see friends and family on the way.

Latest posts