Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I bought this property (20 yrs ago last month) I bought a small camper trailer & lived in it while building. Had a porta-john & ran gray water out and onto ground thru PVC that I could move as needed. Electric from temp pole. Did a good amount of own work on house, after contracting the big things with contractors I knew & had worked with for years. But, I did the things like insulation, tile, laminate floors, bath cabinets., trim outs & staining wood, painting, etc. Was sure glad when the approval was granted for power in the house. It was summer and AC was welcome! Couple months later to get occupancy but, slept in there on a cot before then. Hot in the trailer! Just an old lady and her dog.:D

It's real "doable" to live nicely in a small way while building. Slower pace. You may get into a lot that I would not. I hired framers, electricians, etc. BUT, needed to. In the end I did save a lot between own work and reduced rates from contractors who worked with my late DH & me for many years.

Looing forward to hearing about your adventures coming soon. Bet you are, too. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH and I also built our home pretty much on the "pay as you build" plan. It was helpful that my dad was a building contractor. We put up the frame at the very end of the building season: Concrete block with fiberglass overlay foundation. We moved in at the end of January. Walls were studded, but no sheetrock. Minimal electrical, no running water, only heat was supplied by a wood stove with wet wood that we had to dig out of the snow bank and knock the ice off it before bringing it into the house.

Yes. It's doable. Hard. But doable. It made me very much appreciate every bit of work completed, every step forward into having a more civilized home.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, Elwood!
DH and I also built our house! I wanted to live in a camper while we built, but he refused, so we did a lot of driving back and forth with supplies. It took forever, but we got it done. You'll get it done, too.

Can you just live in an RV or camper on your property? So many areas have restrictions now days.

I know some people that did that while they built. He made a sheltered 'wash area' outside of the camper with both washer and dryer hookups, and a sheltered cooking area/kind of front porch. It worked out well for them.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1800 miles so far. Having a great time in missouri. We went to the pony express museum and jesse james house museum. They are in st Joseph Missouri. Our ds had a blast.
We are trying to adjust our bodies to the time change. Was easier when i was young lol

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's a really cool city park in Winterset, Iowa. It's not too far off of 35N just south of Des Moines. John Wayne's childhood home is there (very close to the park entrance), and the city park has a maze made out of shrubs with a sundial in the center. There are very nice areas for a picnic lunch, and pretty little stone bridges over a creek that runs through the park. In the back part of the park is a pretty stone tower with a wonderful view. It was erected in memory of some early settlers in the area. It's worth stopping there if you have time.
There are some really pretty covered bridges on the way to Winterset (bridges of Madison County...) One of them has a bunch of graffiti from many visitors over the years. There's a little notice that someone had written that there are 9 "ninjas" hiding on the bridge. These are about 2 inches high, and were drawn with a black sharpie. All of them are slightly different. My son and I stopped once to see the bridge, and stayed for an hour to find all 9 "ninjas". We took a picture of each to make sure we didn't miss any. There's also a neat military museum in Des Moines, and a glass pedestrian bridge. Lots of cool things to see in Iowa along that route! Enjoy the trip, and if you see anything worth stopping for, please let us know. I'm sure we'll be through that way again.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the power needs and how we are going to produce it. Looks like solar. Not a lot of wind. Would need a large tower i think.
Ds is so happy with enzo the pup. But didnt know how much work went into a puppy. Trying to train him to walk on a leash currently. Not going well lol

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No heart attack thank goodness! Having her follow up with cardiologist. My best friend is taking me to pick up our temporary home. A camper. Going to save up and get the perfect shed and the finishes we want. With camper we dont have to rush.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A camper gives you time to save for a building, or even start scrounging materials to build one. Was at a RV campground yesterday, saw a tent set up, the guy lives there full time. He had a tiny air conditioner barely off the ground, attached to his tent. It made us smile, he was using what he had.