Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really looking forward to following your progress! Please keep the pictures coming - some of us might want to follow in your footsteps! :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this and am only going to mention it because it could be forgotten in the excitement - but, insulate it well, especially the roof/ceiling. I only say this because a friend of mine did something similar - bought a shed for a cabin - and totally forget to insulate before drywall and paint went up. What a pain to blow in insulation after the fact.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We will put in a septic at some point. We live in southern Kentucky so doesn't get super cold. I plan to insulate and skirt around the base. All water pipes will all be wrapped as well.
Well 911 has finally got us an address!! Next call to water company

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh wow. I am going to insulate it very well. I have been in construction for last several years so i know the process pretty well. Frame out, wire, plumb insulate drywall.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figured you know what you are doing.

However, it never hurts to point out the obvious, lol... it drives my DH nuts, until I mention something he forgot.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So trying to decide if we want to hook up to the grid....
Honestly I would rather not. But the cost of going solar is prohibitive right now..
Then again I don't know what having the power lines run to us will cost either.
Water comes first and scared at what that will cost. Just want it ran to corner of my property. I will handle it from there. But we will see.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks nice! We live in northeast Texas in a doublewide up on blocks. It is skirted and the pipes are wrapped. While we have fairly mild winters, we do get some cold weather, sometimes it snows and the temps hang around 20 degrees. it did hit a low of 14 degrees, the pips did not freeze. Of course I have cut off valves on outside faucets and I opened the faucets to drain the water. So if your winters are like ours, you should have no problems.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figured you know what you are doing.

However, it never hurts to point out the obvious, lol... it drives my DH nuts, until I mention something he forgot.

My hubby designs trusses for a living. He tells of the plans that come in from an architect for a 2 story home... Yep... the architect forgot to add a stair well. Or it will be drawn in on one level, but not accounted for on the second level!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well got a quote for solar system to completely power our tiny house off grid..... ouch! 10 to 15 k!!!