Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my area there are many "shallow" wells, especially since we are not a rock area. But, for home use, I really like to have a well company do the work. An established company knows what to look for, the best water depth in that area, etc.

My own farm has no dependable shallow water where my house sits, so 510' gives me a tap into the huge aquafer upon which I sit....didn't know at buy of farm. The back end is much lower and while water is available at a shallower depth, not as dependable for "always & good". My driller told me I would never run dry (and it tested great quality).

Of course, I had thought a shallow for several hundred $$ was what I'd have/need -- I found that several thousand would be needed. It has been a great investment, as it turns out. No drought here as long as the pump is running. Plus, it would cost me triple to drill it now...20 yrs later.

I'd suggest you at least call a good driller to get an estimate and read of the land. You may be surprised.

Also, electric company may provide for less than you fear. :) I am serviced by a "co-op" and they are great!! Many electric co-ops formed simply to service rural areas. With that, they often provide more than you may think. Won't be free, but...is it less than that solar? You may want to consider a propane, whole house generator unit...get yet another estimate.:D

AND -- how much electric do you need? Heat by? Cook by? frig? lights? and so on....wood, coal, oil, kero, propane ???

What an adventure -- right? :lol:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep. Many estimates and home work to do on all of this utility stuff, so you can make an informed decision, @elwood . An other consideration: resale value, as well as what your home owner's insurance will look like depending on what options you choose.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We would love to use gas but i have to admit i am a bit of a prepper. Dependent on propane would be a down side if things go bad....
according to kentucky if my well goes deep the water will be harder and less fit for drinking...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have hard water and never had any trouble drinking it. In fact, I have friends that bring a couple of gallon jugs with them when they visit because our water tastes better than the city water.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- wells, depend on where you are. Here, some areas have poor well water...coastal, salt & brackish waters, low table, etc. Varies greatly with just 50-100 miles in any direction.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our well in Wyoming was 548' deep, and that was not the deepest in the subdivision. The deepest was 800'+
Our well tapped into the headwaters of the Ogallala aquifer - teh Ogallal that waters most of the great plains. It was really good water. The deepest well went to the aquifer below the Ogallala.

Here in Wisconsin, we have a well that is just over 40 feet deep, the water is yellow... We installed an iron filter, which helped, but it is still a little discolored. We added a reverse osmosis filter for drinking water.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our water is moderately hard, with high sulphur, manganese levels. I think it's over 300', poor seal to the bedrock, so we get some sediment. Only 1.5 gpm so we run the risk of running dry, and I can only spot water the garden. Ideally, we should have RO, but the sediment would require lots of frequent maintenance to keep the system running. I use a Brita filter, but mostly, we buy our drinking water.

Our well is very deep, poor water quality. Meanwhile, the next neighbor on the street drilled 80', got such high water return ( and good quality) that it ran for a year and a half before they could cap it.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH is planning to install a RO for the refrigerator also, so we can hook up the ice maker. It is one of those little under-counter set-ups, with a spout coming out one of the sink holes. I had to loose my soap dispenser for it.
But it has a 2 gallon tank of filtered water stored for use. The little luxuries, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really like that idea. We have an ice dispenser, but don't use it b/c the water is so crappy. I'd love to have RO at the kitchen sink. But, the sediment would make the upkeep more trouble than it would be worth, I fear.