Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a federal tax credit but still that is a lot.
So yeah going to talk to power company tuesday

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can greatly decrease your power use by doing some red neck solar for hot water and heat. Will still need power from the grid... or a formal solar system for long term. You could look into buying a gas generator. I don't know if they have systems that will charge some deep cycle batteries to keep you going for short term. Most likely, you'd be happiest spending the $$$ just to run power to your place.

You're getting there!!! Your wife doing ok with all this????

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Solar is expensive. It cost a lot of money to "save" money LOL. Light pole, hook up, easy. Much less expensive.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it will take several poles to get to my house. Power is at least a 1/2 mile away as is water.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are all kinds of ads on line for "drill your own well". I don't know how many of these (if any) companies are legit, and I'm sure it depends on your water table and what kind of soil/bedrock you have.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right i have seen those. Our county is full of granite so i dont know yet

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep. Many estimates and home work to do on all of this utility stuff, so you can make an informed decision, @elwood . An other consideration: resale value, as well as what your home owner's insurance will look like depending on what options you choose.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- wells, depend on where you are. Here, some areas have poor well water...coastal, salt & brackish waters, low table, etc. Varies greatly with just 50-100 miles in any direction.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our well in Wyoming was 548' deep, and that was not the deepest in the subdivision. The deepest was 800'+
Our well tapped into the headwaters of the Ogallala aquifer - teh Ogallal that waters most of the great plains. It was really good water. The deepest well went to the aquifer below the Ogallala.

Here in Wisconsin, we have a well that is just over 40 feet deep, the water is yellow... We installed an iron filter, which helped, but it is still a little discolored. We added a reverse osmosis filter for drinking water.