EMP pulse, aliens, me...or maybe just a lightening strike?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* OFG walks out with a cat strapped to her head, tin foil hat on cat *

here's one for ya

so

in the last couple days

1. the fridge died and ruined everything in it
2. the dryer died and now its barely limping along
3. my wine fridge that i use for cheese making gave up the ghost

not to be all paranoid... but WTH? sun spots? solar flares? just unlucky? blame the cats?

we were able to reboot the fridge but i'm having a hard time getting it to a proper temperature - its a little cold.

the dryer only kind of works - extra small loads that need to go around twice

the wine fridge is set to 46* but isnt cooling so its at 71* and i had to move my cheese.

aside from the obvious (go out and spend a buncha money to get new appliances) - is there anything i can do? none of the other electronics seem to be impacted.

thoughts?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
1) That IS weird
2) But it is at your house so not so surprising
3) You COULD blame it on the cats, but I think they are innocent
4) Have you been popping light bulbs?
5) Go to www.repairclinic.com. Even my non-handy hubby has been able to use that site to fix our dryer, dishwasher and fridge multiple times.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
being a smart A** that I am...

string up a clothes line, hang clothes out to dry

and, dig out a deep cold pit for food stuff :lol:

got a spring?? milk or other fridge foods could be set in the spring to keep cold...

You know, go all little house on the prairie on us

*ducks and runs*

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
WZ - nothing surprises me at all anymore. we blamed Teddi Grumpkins for the fridge but i couldnt even come up with a way that Nicholas broke the wine fridge. thanks for the link! i'm almost wondering if everything is on the same circuit and it shorted or something??? i dunno..

QA - you know..... so here is the problem. everyone has their limits and mine is the clothesline.

go kill supper in the yard? sure
build the duck garage? sure
hang my underpants out on the line for everyone to see? not happening.

in fact its become a source of contention between us. The Big Man thinks this is the best thing thats every happened and ran right out and strung up a clothes line - which may or may not be a dog tie out line pulled between 2 pine trees. its so low that not even *** I *** can comfortably walk under it.

i think he's not fixing the dryer on purpose and i very nearly had a melt down over the whole thing.

of course i'm not getting any support from any of my so called "friends" - you know who you are - because apparently everyone on earth thinks underpants flingin' out there in the breeze is the best thing since sliced bread.

now while i'll very happily bake and slice bread - i'm at a full stop with this one.

i can just see it now - all the hens running around with my underpants on their head... the ducks running around in my bras. and there's no telling what i'd do if i went out there and those stupid pigs were wearing my "Life is Good" tshirt.....it would be a bloodbath.

so all's i'm sayin is.... the clothesline is not the optimal answer. atho, QA, i've wanted to build my spring house since we got here.

ofg
"not a clothesline fan"

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
LOL ofg, I use a clothesline, and my dryer works just fine, but undergarments DO NOT go out on the line!

I hang those on the backs of chairs in the house - so no, I wouldn't expect you to hang your undies or bras outside. ;)

But, if TBM thinks that's what yer gonna do - hang HIS out there and make sure you point them out to the neighbors.....

bet he fixes the dryer in a hurry......................

p.s. we don't hang too much on the line anymore - not since the geese learned how to pull them down.....

and I'm so with you on the spring house!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i can just see it now - all the hens running around with my underpants on their head... the ducks running around in my bras. and there's no telling what i'd do if i went out there and those stupid pigs were wearing my "Life is Good" tshirt
Now THAT is the picture I needed for today! :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hu Wish I had an answer. Everything in my house tends to break down at the same time too.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
* OFG walks out with a cat strapped to her head, tin foil hat on cat *

here's one for ya

so

in the last couple days

1. the fridge died and ruined everything in it
2. the dryer died and now its barely limping along
3. my wine fridge that i use for cheese making gave up the ghost

not to be all paranoid... but WTH? sun spots? solar flares? just unlucky? blame the cats?

we were able to reboot the fridge but i'm having a hard time getting it to a proper temperature - its a little cold.Temperture sensor gone or maybe the thermostat, should be cheaper to repair if you can find some one that knows how

the dryer only kind of works - extra small loads that need to go around twice Electric? if so one of the heat coils may be burnt out otherwise temp/humidity sensor or thermostat

the wine fridge is set to 46* but isnt cooling so its at 71* and i had to move my cheese.If running but not cooling at all it might be toast but with your other problems I suspect sensor or thermostat problems.

aside from the obvious (go out and spend a buncha money to get new appliances) - is there anything i can do? none of the other electronics seem to be impacted.

thoughts?
I could be bad luck or the cats but I would suspect a power surge caused by an electrical storm, lighting doesn't have to strike, just passing by a power line can cause a surge, most electronics have built in surge protection (Limited) while most heavy electric users like dryers and refrigs have none.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks GD! i seem to remember you were in the engineering end of things - thanks for the explanation. we couldnt figure out b/c we didnt think we were hit directly.

our neighbors get the short end of the power surge all the time - their pump gets blown about once a year. we thought we were safe.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks
:)

ps it never hurts to blame the cats, for sure!