EMP pulse, aliens, me...or maybe just a lightening strike?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
every darn appliance dies at darn near the same time in most homes....it is law, don't ya know. it is meant to test your wallet and patience.

every 6-7 years I say to Tony, what is going to die on us? we best get money in the bank for replacement or repair lol

nah, nothing is 'going on' so you can take off the tin foil hat, you might need the tin foil to cook on the grill when your stove dies!
:lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
thanks GD! i seem to remember you were in the engineering end of things - thanks for the explanation. we couldnt figure out b/c we didnt think we were hit directly.

our neighbors get the short end of the power surge all the time - their pump gets blown about once a year. we thought we were safe.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks
:)

ps it never hurts to blame the cats, for sure!
I was a chemist no kind of engineer and I am guessing bssed on the fact that I was on the end of a line that ran through a pine forest. One tree would get hit and I would get a surge. The power Co tried to sell me a surge protector and said that the surges weren't their problem. When I threated to go to the public service commission they caved and put one in for free. It handled everything except a direct hit on the line and that would blow the transformer in my front yard with fire and fireworks. I have the power out number on speed dial on my cell phone. Called last night in fact.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
OFG, I never have to hang panties out cuz I won't wear 'em. But I do hang my bras on the back patio and no one but auntie has ever sniggered at me.

I really wish I could line dry everything!!

I am going to picture your pigs with your undies on their heads all day :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We were zipping through appliances in the kitchen until we smartened up and put some power surge thangys in there. I killed about five microwaves, it seemed to be certain plugs especially would be subject to power surges.

But Murphy's law, of course, proves that all the appliances will be most likely to break down when you are least able to afford to replace them all. We had the dryer, the micro, the dishwasher, a shower and a toilet all broken at one point a few months back. Sheesh.

Regarding the line and the dryer, my hubby was well able to fix the dryer but I think he also thought we would get a great savings out of no dryer. Well...............try putting your towels he uses after his shower out there on the line first, and HIS underwear and his T-shirts and things that dry rough and scratchy on the line. Because our temps were so dang cold, it took a couple days for things to dry and things would come off the line or from over whatever thing they were draped over permanently shaped like that and stiff as a board. Like his jeans or overall or whatever....the charm of line drying pales quickly.

It was slow going and I finally let a mountain of laundry pile up and told him to "hang up his towel" for a week to use instead of getting a new stiff one every day and he finally fixed the dryer.

They are not rocket science to fix, I'm not good at that sort of thing myself but Hubby always swears dryers are easey-peasey. In his own words of course.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I haven't done it, but I recall hearing or reading somewhere that each appliance has a certain life expectancy. So, what you need to do is figure out what it is, then figure out what a new one would cost. Divide the cost by the number of months and put that amount aside every month. Then, when you need a new one, you have the money for it.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How old are your appliances? Did you buy them at the same time?

I'm with you, no clothes out on a clothes line. I don't have the time or patience for it. It would be desperate times for me to do it.

We lost a TV with the last storm. It was the only one that was directly plugged into the wall. Just bought it too. Luckily it wasn't an expensive one. So far the appliances don't seem to be affected but I have to admit that I would love to replace my refrigerator. It is a side by side and I really dislike it. You can't put anything big into it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And I'd love to have a side by side. But, I can't find one w/out the ice maker in it, and I don't need that. But, it's basically just hubby and I, so a side by side would work fine.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hang my under-roos out on the line. I don't care what anyone thinks. If people are pathetic enough to look - then I hope they see the under-roos I reserve for...that special monthly time.

Of course, I live way out in the country, and only one of my neighbors house can see my clothes line, and that house is currently empty, but still.

Granted, I don't have the problem of animals pulling things down off the line though. :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
How old are your appliances? Did you buy them at the same time?

I'm with you, no clothes out on a clothes line. I don't have the time or patience for it. It would be desperate times for me to do it.

We lost a TV with the last storm. It was the only one that was directly plugged into the wall. Just bought it too. Luckily it wasn't an expensive one. So far the appliances don't seem to be affected but I have to admit that I would love to replace my refrigerator. It is a side by side and I really dislike it. You can't put anything big into it.
my whole life I owned regular old basic refridges...and when my last crapped out Tony begged for me to get a side by side.

OMG I am just like you....0 and I mean zero freezer room in this thing....and what I have in there is buried. I don't even know what is in there LOL cause it is such a nuisance to deal with it.

:tongue :tongue to my side by side

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
and here I wish we HAD a side by side! we had one when we had our brand new home way back when - and man did I love the ice maker :lol: