EMP pulse, aliens, me...or maybe just a lightening strike?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We don't use our clothesline for hanging out wash this time of year because of the pollen. Nothing like sleeping with your very allergic face pressed into a pollen laden pillow case! Right now mine has a tarp hanging over it....
We've never had an issue where several appliances all went at once but it does make me think a power surge may have been to blame. We did loose a TV and VCR years ago when we must have had a ground lightning strike. We lost the well pump once that way too.
Do you have actual tin foil or are you relying on aluminum? Could that be the issue? :hide

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hang your undies inside if that really bothers you (bras should be hung up and line dried anyway, saves the elastic). Otherwise, I'd put the clothes on the line, saves more money. Specially since you have a zero efficient machine right now, that requires two go arounds to get very small batches of clothes dried. To me, that would be considered an inexcusable waste of time and money. If you want, line dry until you've saved enough to buy another dryer. Surely the power bill should show some difference for that.

For the wine fridge: I'm not sure what kind it is, but i imagine it's one of the mini fridge types perhaps? For both fridges, check the vents, the fans, and the coils at the back. Clean them with a vaccuum, a duster, whatever you can get back there, becasue at work, we often had fridge failure due to dust and paper and crap getting in and blocking the grates and so on. Not keeping the exterior parts of a fridge clean is a sure fire way to ruin an expensive piece of equipment. I am also inclined to agree about some kind of power surge being an issue for both quitting at once. Perhaps getting them onto those power surge protector things might help in the future (also, making sure they're on seperate circuits will probably assure there isn't any overload as well). This is assuming the wine fridge cools off, and the normal fridge goes back to being normal.

Often appliances bought at the same time (or appliances that which are the same age) will start dying around the same time as well. My aunt and uncle had that happened to them.

Blaming the cats might be more fun though, anyway.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im fairly certain its aliens...kitty aliens to be precise!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hide

I heard a case of the space cats can be cured with pennicillian.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
But, what if you're allergic to penicillin?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to agree with the power surge. Man oh man...thats a bummer to lose so many appliances at once. Sounds like Alien cats with tin foil tails to me. Shorting out everything! Where is my gun?? Of course, I am one with 4 outside adult cats, and 7 kittens right now, and poop in EVERY flower box!! UGH!!!!! My poor flowers dont have a chance. At least the 7 kittens are going to a kitten rescue next weekend, and the females are getting fixed! Now if people would only stop dropping cats at the " nice farm that can surely use a few good barn cats" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
As for the penicillin...I am allergic to that AND cats! I am doomed...doomed I tell ya!! :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Now if people would only stop dropping cats at the " nice farm that can surely use a few good barn cats" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I hear ya, J! And the animal shelters won't take a cat around here "just because someone else dumped it on your farm!" One year we got dumped with 4 cats within weeks of each other. The man at the shelter said he couldn't take them unless I PAID for their keep until they were adopted! If I wanted to PAY for the darn things, I would have KEPT them! :smack

I'm all for hanging the "little rookies" (under-roos) on the line, but the men in my life always hated that! :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I have to agree with the power surge. Man oh man...thats a bummer to lose so many appliances at once. Sounds like Alien cats with tin foil tails to me. Shorting out everything! Where is my gun?? Of course, I am one with 4 outside adult cats, and 7 kittens right now, and poop in EVERY flower box!! UGH!!!!! My poor flowers dont have a chance. At least the 7 kittens are going to a kitten rescue next weekend, and the females are getting fixed! Now if people would only stop dropping cats at the " nice farm that can surely use a few good barn cats" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
As for the penicillin...I am allergic to that AND cats! I am doomed...doomed I tell ya!! :rolleyes:
Justy, you totally have me cracking up about this...we ARE doomed! Doomed i say! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Hillfarm - i've heard that too......

Hen - thats what i'm talkin about. i'm allergic to every stinkin thing so i'm not thrilled about being covered in pollen when i sleep to. *OFG thinks about how she is constantly covered in cats and wearing a kitty turban at nite* i mean, i've got enough going against me with this crew.

TBM is dragging his feet on the whole "hey go and check CL and find me a new dryer!"

and

get this

he's all excited to have his panties out there flingin in the breeze! so no humiliation for him. he's never been more proud.

we ruled out "mass appliance failure" b/c all of the dead appliances were purchased by at different times.

i'm still a prime suspect but so is Teddi Grumpkins.

under the heading of "full confessions" i should report that the light in the fridge no longer comes on. but its still cold.

i think we're going with i "break everything" or "surge from the storms." the wine fridge was plugged into a surge protector tho. maybe it just lost heart after my failed batch of blue cheese - still a possibility.

to make it worse.. someone randomly commented on my blog about how this hot breeze weather is perfect for hanging clothes out on the line. i asked TBM if he paid her to say that. he said no and handed me a basket of laundry to take outside so they geese could run around with it - i mean - put on the line.

the mystery continues as does the utter humiliation......

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I hang the laundry....then again, I don't have neighbors close enough to care. The towels...I like em stiff and scratchy...hubby doesn't. So, I will toss them in the dryer, on fluff, for 10 minutes or so. Same for jeans...10 minutes to fluff, and we are all good!
Now, the cats?? Hmmm, maybe some alien planet sent them to us?? I am gonna call the planet Dog Star!!! yeah!! I mean, I don't mind the males, good mousers...the girls have got to go..I can't afford to get them ALL fixed!