Energy Saver bulbs-They work!

oldbones929

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a definite believer in compact flourescent bulbs. I have a 3 way bulb that stays on between 8 and 16 hours per day 7 days a week, and I've had it for almost 6 years. They last longer if they aren't constantly turned on and off, so I only use them in lamps that are on for extended periods. I also use them in my outside fixtures. I think the initial cost was $4 or $5, but over 6 years I would have spent way more than that on regular bulbs.

oldbones929

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
[Also AFAIK there are still no cold-weather-ballasted ones so they're not an option for outdoors, garage, kennel(coop) or barn.

Actually, I've used them outside for my porch lights. They even have ones that have the yellow color to keep bugs away.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My parents used CFL when I was growing up so I do too. I have some that are at least 10yrs old. One I bought recently died after a week. Some of them take awhile to come on, some are instant. The CFLs seem to vary alot between brands.

Here its illegal to throw them in the trash but stores will take them back. LED Light Bulbs are now available but they are spendy like CFLs used to be but they use even less electricity and are mercury free.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
oldbones929 said:
[Also AFAIK there are still no cold-weather-ballasted ones so they're not an option for outdoors, garage, kennel(coop) or barn.

Actually, I've used them outside for my porch lights. They even have ones that have the yellow color to keep bugs away.
How cold does it get where you live?

Pat

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you are truely concerned, contact your local Haz-Mat team. They can give you all of the info that you need to clean up a small spill such as these bulbs. I used to work on the local fire dept. and first responder Haz-Mat team. As far as the contaimination, at a medical facility I worked at, we had the old Blood Pressure machins. One fell over and mercury went everywhere, much more than what is in those bulbs. We had to shut off the wing for abut 5 Hrs and it was cleaned and cleared by Haz-Mat and the state Health Dept. If you don't have a Lowes near you, your Haz-Mat team can tell you where to dispose of it.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
We are changing to CFL's also. As our old bulbs burn out, we are replacing them with CFL if possible.

I understand that you can't put them everywhere, though. (dh) John says you can't but them in a globed fixture? That's lame! We also hadn't seen any three-way bulbs, either. But I just saw one at Piggly Wiggly the other day for $9.50. That's high to me, but nonetheless, I will be buying a couple when our two three-way lamps burn out.

I also have two sets of lights on dimmer switches. As far as I know, there's no CFL version of that yet, either. Maybe soon.

Cassandra
i have ones in my living room wall lights and my entryway that are round. My boyfriend got them a couple years ago but never used them. I dont know where. I have the cfl's in the lights I use the most. I am constantly turning off the lights, I rarely have more than one light on in my house at a time. I guess its all working as my electric bill says I use only 1/3 the electricity a comparable size home in my area uses.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mgibbzzz said:
If you are truely concerned, contact your local Haz-Mat team. They can give you all of the info that you need to clean up a small spill such as these bulbs. I used to work on the local fire dept. and first responder Haz-Mat team. As far as the contaimination, at a medical facility I worked at, we had the old Blood Pressure machins. One fell over and mercury went everywhere, much more than what is in those bulbs. We had to shut off the wing for abut 5 Hrs and it was cleaned and cleared by Haz-Mat and the state Health Dept. If you don't have a Lowes near you, your Haz-Mat team can tell you where to dispose of it.
here is a like to MSDS sheet for CFL's and EPA info

http://www.tcpi.com/specSheets/default.aspx?categoryid=179

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got lucky, our electric coop did a trade in of our old bulbs for 12 cfl bulbs for free! But I have been unable to find a cfl bulb for a dimmer switch for our ceiling fans, do they make one?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have to say, once I switched to CFL's my electric bill dropped considerably. I've got six spotlight cans over the beams in my kitchen eating area, each held a 75 watt bulb. I switched to the 18 watt fluorescent replacement and I noticed an immediate difference in the bill. Now that all bulbs have been switched to CFL's my light bill rarely even approaches $100 a month. Switching out the fridge for a newer more Energy Star rated unit dropped it even more. Last month my bill was $63.58 :ep I did know that Home Depot offered the recycling program. We're very careful with them and have never had an issue with breakage.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chrissum, I saw CFLs for use with a dimmer switch at our local Home Depot. They have the wider screw threads so if the light you want to replace is a standard light bulb and not one of the candelabra type light bulbs, these will work. I didn't look at the price because I need ones to replace the candelabra type lights.