Energy Saver bulbs-They work!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mine come on instantly. Sometimes the outside ones are a little dim at first in winter.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They're a whole lot better now (the new ones I mean) than when CFLs first came out, ticks, so is it possible yours are older?

But, it is exactly the same as with regular fluorescent lamps (only a bit moreso for the compacts, I guess b/c of the constraints of trying to wedge it all into a teeny product like that). If you want to know more than you might want to know <g> about how fluorescent bulbs work, try

http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp4.htm (this is the page talking about why the delay after you turn them on; the following page deals with the more recent ones; but the whole multipage article is interesting)

Pat

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
If you have a Home Depot near you we have a free recycle program. Just take your CFLs to the returns desk and we will take them for you. We started this up when we started selling the bulbs.

********I didn't know that...now I do...thanks. I started changing over bulbs as the others died.

but I have a hard time with some stupid fixtures that they don't fit in..LOL
Great tip! Also think of everyone who used contact lens solutions twenty, thirty years ago, that had mercury in it as a preservative.......

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
love blrw said:
FarmerChick said:
If you have a Home Depot near you we have a free recycle program. Just take your CFLs to the returns desk and we will take them for you. We started this up when we started selling the bulbs.

********I didn't know that...now I do...thanks. I started changing over bulbs as the others died.

but I have a hard time with some stupid fixtures that they don't fit in..LOL
Great tip! Also think of everyone who used contact lens solutions twenty, thirty years ago, that had mercury in it as a preservative.......
That is scary

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Scarier still is all the mercury they put into the childrens' vaccinations, its also still in the flu shots that adults and children get.
Just those shots? or others?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No, there was thimerisol(50 percent mercury) preservative in most all vaccines that required a preservative.
They claim to have removed it from the vaccines now, but they admit to still having it in at least one of the flu vaccines.
In the Hannah Poling case that just went to court recently it was proven that her mercury laden vaccinations caused her mitochondrial disorder and autsim.
The Amish do not vaccinate and they have no cases of autism either.
I know this is a hot topic for alot of people, but I am simply stating facts.Although, this is an area where I can definitely holdl my own in a debate.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lin --I didn't know that either...but I did hear about the mercury in shots for vaccines and such.

hmm...

it is quite scary what truly is happening out there.

I also hate flouride. Nasty stuff. when I googled it and read about it I could not believe how harmful it is....ugh

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Geeez! Just read up on it. Seems to be a controversy as to -if- people need fluoride at all.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't want flouride
the rest of the people can make up their own minds