Energy Saver bulbs-They work!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
With all due respect I will gladly stick with my cfls. While they do have a small amount of mercury in them they offset alot of mercury emissions from coal plants. They are not perfect but they are a step in the right direction. If anyone is worried about mercury only use digital thermometers and thermostats. The old style ones contain lots of mercury. Those old thermostats contain more mercury than 50 of those bulbs maybe even 100. Don't let your kids break those vials of mercury and roll it around in their hands like I use too. You see how messed up I am.

Yes mercury is dangerous but it does not do instant irreversible damage. You have to build up quite a bit over years before it does damage. Thats why the fishing rule books the states put out contain guidelines for how much fish to eat out of certain bodies of water. Mercury is a naturally occurring substance but our coal plants really make it bad.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was a kid back in 1979, I broke a thermometer. I stuck it to a flame on the stove to see how hot it would get. It exploded on me. I don't remember seeing any of what flew out of it. After mama whooped my butt, she threw the thermometer in the trash. We were none the wiser.

Crazy, huh?

These days, I feel like I'm quite responsible enough to use CFL's.

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, TSL, I do love your writings!

I was giving my point of view, but I think you should use tons of them, knock yourself out.
:lol: :yuckyuck :lol:

You almost made me pee my pants!

I would have to agree with you on the CFLs. One can argue their safety for years but jumping on the bandwagon for a new product that just happens to contain "an minute amount" of mercury is preemptive, IMO. We've all seen how much damage has resulted in using the mercury in the vaccines all these years.

No, we can't control all the bad things in our environment that the big energy guys are putting out, but we can try to control our immediate environment. Will our using CFLs, all of us all around the world, stop them from using coal to produce energy? Not on your life. Too much money involved. So, each of us in our own way must try to protect our families as much as possible in our immediate environment. That's all we can reasonably expect to do now days....just try to make our little corner of the world safer, more energy efficient in small ways, etc.

That's why we have a forum like this...to weigh the pros and cons of our decisions. Its called being friends enough to explore all the possible dangers, or benefits, of a proposed action, and share our findings. This can be done without being nasty, I think! Its just a discussion among friends. :)

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They say that if you change all the lightbulbs in your house to the squiggly ones, your electricity bill will be 75% less than before. How cool is that?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Rio_Lindo_97 said:
They say that if you change all the lightbulbs in your house to the squiggly ones, your electricity bill will be 75% less than before. How cool is that?
Except that AFAIK the CFLs are not nearly such a good deal if used for only a minute at a time (which is how a lot of our lights are used). Also AFAIK there are still no cold-weather-ballasted ones so they're not an option for outdoors, garage, kennel(coop) or barn.

Also, that's 75% savings on the *lighting* part of your electric bill, not total, I am pretty sure ;)

I am sure there are some people who use lots of lightbulbs and leave them on for long periods of time for whom savings would be high, but that's not us. I do use CFLs for the bulbs that stay on for long periods of time -- basically the one light in the livingroom that I read by, and the ones in the computer room ceiling fixture (the kitchen has regular old-style fluorescent lights). But the rest we've left as incandescent bulbs because they just go on and off so briefly.

JMO,

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I think your right Pat, about the whokle lighting bill, 75% is a lot of total electricity

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have a Home Depot near you we have a free recycle program. Just take your CFLs to the returns desk and we will take them for you. We started this up when we started selling the bulbs.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you have a Home Depot near you we have a free recycle program. Just take your CFLs to the returns desk and we will take them for you. We started this up when we started selling the bulbs.

********I didn't know that...now I do...thanks. I started changing over bulbs as the others died.

but I have a hard time with some stupid fixtures that they don't fit in..LOL

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Hoe come it takes them such a long time to actually turn on when you flip the switch?