Extreme Couponing

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
A car???

My issues with those are how do you know when it is for real or when it is a phishing type scam?

Steph

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!
The most I think I was able to save on coupons at one time was about $30.00. But, like was mentioned already, it rarely pays for us to use coupons because we eat mostly organics, and gluten/dairy free foods. They hardly ever have coupons or specials on them. What I use coupons for mostly is for things like vitamins, condiments and canned or frozen veggies. Many of the name brands now carry organics too, so the coupons will often say "Any" of a certain brand, and then you can use them.

We shop for many staples also at Aldi, but we have found that Trader Joe's has really good prices on things like brown rice noodles, fresh veggies, frozen veggies, dry goods, and many of their products are organic. Love the Joe's!

My husband won't eat healthy at all, so I also use coupons for his junk food.:/

Steph

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Steph said:
Hi!
The most I think I was able to save on coupons at one time was about $30.00. But, like was mentioned already, it rarely pays for us to use coupons because we eat mostly organics, and gluten/dairy free foods. They hardly ever have coupons or specials on them. What I use coupons for mostly is for things like vitamins, condiments and canned or frozen veggies. Many of the name brands now carry organics too, so the coupons will often say "Any" of a certain brand, and then you can use them.

We shop for many staples also at Aldi, but we have found that Trader Joe's has really good prices on things like brown rice noodles, fresh veggies, frozen veggies, dry goods, and many of their products are organic. Love the Joe's!

My husband won't eat healthy at all, so I also use coupons for his junk food.:/

Steph
Just a side note - did you know that Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi now?
We don't have Aldi out here in the west, but I too love TJ's - closest one requires an hour's drive though, so I keep a list of things I buy in the *city*, and combine it all into a nice day out every couple of months.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And we have Aldi's, but no TJ. :rolleyes:

Steph

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just a side note - did you know that Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi now?
We don't have Aldi out here in the west, but I too love TJ's - closest one requires an hour's drive though, so I keep a list of things I buy in the *city*, and combine it all into a nice day out every couple of months.
Interesting. No wonder I like them. :) Thanks for that information.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
I tried to do coupon but it seems that generics are better buys, or Aldies.
I cannot figure out how they save so much. I even joined a coupon train and I just don't get coupons on stuff I actually use.

I buy all my cleaning supplies, laundry det, deo, body wash, tooth paste ect ect from Melaleuca so any of those coupon are worthless to me. Plus the newspaper is so expensive I dont get it so unless I make a trip to town just to get the Sunday paper no coupons.
And I don't buy alot of prepackaged food because of being GF.

Plus being gluten free makes it even harder to save money as there really are no available coupons for gluten free foods. Wish there were.

It just doesnt work for me. Wish it did..... :hit
Ok so I tried again and went on some sites that show you exactly how to "stack" coupons with sale items and get them for pennies on the dollar or free. I have done it for a couple weeks now and even, (DH is extremely impressed which is a miracle lol) I am impressed with the savings. No I dont eat allot of pre packaged but my DH and 2DD do, like cereal poptarts ect. I saved a ton on body wash for DH and shampoo for DD19 who is very brand specific. I scored toothpaste my DD's use for real cheap as well.

It does take time and effort to clip and organize but I do it in the evening when I am watching tv with the family. I am also an organizing freak as many have called me sooo I think it is kinda fun. I am definitely NOT like the chicks on tv because noone doubles here but am saving allot so far!!!!

I buy 4 news papers on Sunday, local, and a larger city paper(they sell them at local grocery store for 1-15% off) because they say have coupons for the number of ppl in your house. good stock up prices!!
Because if SHTF are you not going to use whatever toothpaste you have vs nothing? or deo,ect. I still am trying to learn how to make my own stuff but between using and bartering I think it will be a plus for me because not everyone will make their own there will be ppl who want the store bought stuff and will barter something I need for it I bet!!!!! .

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We use coupons. They help out a lot especially when pairing them with sales. I helps that we are not brand specific with too many items. None of the stores in our area double coupons, but every little bit helps. If there are a couple of coupons for something that is on sale and it is a really good deal we might get a few coupons from neighbors or even go buy a second paper, but it has to be good enough to be worth spending the $ on the extra newspaper. We do try to stock up and be prepared for disasters or economic hard times, so this helps in that area.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
hwillm1977 said:
FarmerChick said:
I saw on tv a lady who entered every single contest she came across.
My mom does this too... she has HTML files organized by daily, weekly and monthly contests... She only enters online contests, and has an auto filler to fill in the forms for her.

She's won a car, two trips, all our Christmas presents (including 3 camcorders, a wii, digital cameras, all kinds of stuff) within the last two years... it takes her an hour a day :)
I want to do that bu I don't know where to start! I have time, just don't know where to start.
Mom paid for a membership to a website called 'Canada Sweepstakes' and they find all the online contests that are open to Canadians, they post the links and mom updates her entries daily. I'm sure there would be something similar for Americans... Mom also got a separate free email address (like gmail) for her contest entries so that if they end up sending her junk mail it goes to an email address only used for contest entries.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use coupons for coffee, olive oil, coconut oil, bananas, toilet paper, green dish scrubbies, Magic Erasers, floss, toothbrushes, pectin, mason jar lids (though I am getting more Tattler lids and hopefully will just eliminate these), Dawn dish soap, canned tuna, black/green olives, peanut butter, ziploc bags, oxyclean, Kool Aid (I use it to make dishwasher detergent), school/art/office supplies, drain cleaner (I only ever get 100% lye and use it to make soap), Wisk (I use it to make stain pretreater), fish oil tablets, first aid supplies and OTC meds.

Because I don't use the vast majority of coupons in the inserts, I don't bother buying the paper. I just order 10 or 20 of Oral B floss or Ziploc bag coupons off of eBay. They usually cost $3, including shipping. Then I just hold onto them until I come across a good sale. Watching sales is about 75% of "couponing".

As you can see, I don't use many food coupons. But coupons for non-food items are great.