Extreme Couponing

karens18cats

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The grocery stores here are starting to limit the number of coupons per order or you have to spend a certain amount to get double coupons. I've also noticed that the manufacturers are printing restrictions on the coupons or requiring that you buy multiples of one item to use the coupon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
stores are changing policies for sure to stop the 'extreme' people (and they screw me up also sometimes lol)

but now the coupons are saying---only 4 like coupons per checkout.

cause I just got limited on my buy one get one free hairspray. Coupon said only 4 like per order. So I got 6 this trip and have 2 more coupons to use before 10-31 (and yup I will use them lol)

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am trying to stck up enough coupons to be an extremer! I know how and with my single coupons I save at least half of my bill. And we dont eat hardly any junk in our house, however we dont buy special products for gluten free or special diet stuff. Its a great way to help out with stuff you do buy. My plan is to help my family , extended family friends and local food bank. I dont have room and will not be stocking what we can't reasonably use in 6 months (for things like deodorant, I dont need 6 months supply of pasta!) WalMart is the best place I've found to shop with coupons and ads, b/c they are the only store in my part of Oklahoma that matches ads. Since they rarely ever have a true sale on something that's not seasonal it works out. I do agree with earlier posts about the hoarding! Share and share alike! If you got it for free and you bought 100, dont you think your neigh or could use 2 or 3? Heck I could give 2 or 3 to everyone I know and still have extra! I think if it ftis your lifestyle of shopping items, do it- spend one day and get started then in the evening while you watch TV,particularly on a day when its your husbands show, sit down and spend an hour getting prepared for your next trip. Unless you are clipping 500 coupons, its not that much time and if you save half you grocery bill every week, you get to do more of the things you love! B/c now you have free money! Use it to buy a chicken! Eggs never really go on sale anyway!

homestead wanna be

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I first started blogging, I ran a coupon blog and on saving money. After a while though - all the excess seemed a little extreme, somewhat selfish and a little like hoarding. I've seen pictures of some peoples pantries and they are full to the brim and even run into the garage. This would be ok if they are using them and not buying any more. But they keep buying the good deals. It's not a good deal if you aren't going to use it - no matter what the cost.
It almost becomes an addiction. I've stopped couponing all together and focus on supporting local farms and growing my own. It's just better for everyone.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While I understand your point of view is good for you obviously mine is so different LOL

funny how everyone can be way left or way right on any subject :lol:

I truly find it funny but it is always good to read what others post and how they feel. it kinda gives you that 'what is others' doing way outside my friends and our thinking.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love love love couponing.

i normally save atleast 75% whenever i shop and most of the times the coupons suck but boy when we get good coupons on top of a sale im buying as much as possible

i might shelf clear and i might not it depends on the sale, the item and how much room is in the house.

i might by 20 boxes of laundry detergent that is 2.00 a piece but if its junk food or something i will buy like 3 eventhough its only .50 each.

sometimes cheap doent justify having 300 boxes of fruit snack or 150 juice boxes. yeah they were free but where will i put them. i might buy 10 of the snacks and 10 of the juices.

but any stretch of the imagination is not going to get over 100 of anything in my house.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I so agree E

cause it is all about what you use for what reason, what you donate or how many people might 'shop' your pantry LOL

my mom and dad came over to bring me some stuff and I said Ma, you need detergent and fab softner. oh yea she did so I gave her both.
I said take more, I got tons, she said, nah, when I need more you will have it LOL

I used to make my own detergent but truly store bought works best for me. I tried tons to make my laundry good and soft on others and for some reason it just isn't what I like, so I coupon the heck out of detergents/fabs lol

if someone has 100 boxes of gummy Spongebob on their shelves, you just don't know the intention. it could be for donation to schools etc.
many times my kids schools need snacks to give away for their festivals. .25 to play a bowling game, school gets profit for their needs, kiddo gets fun and a pack of gummies.
so while it all seems crazy there are reasons behind alot of what people do coupon to extreme. it is never all me, me, me.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
girl dont get me wrong if i had the room and i could i would have 300 of something if it was free. the space is so tight here i so could not justify it. 1000sq ft home with 5 people says enough. i would have to stack them in the middle of the living room hahaha that would go over well with the hubby. i could imagine 300 boxes of gummy fruit snacks sitting in the living room. hubby comes home and ask whats all this for. me: you wont believe how much i paid for all of this. me: nothing they were all free free free. him: well you want me to start eating them now. him: kids yall want a box of fruit snacks, just pick a box any box.

FarmerChick said:
yea I so agree E

cause it is all about what you use for what reason, what you donate or how many people might 'shop' your pantry LOL

my mom and dad came over to bring me some stuff and I said Ma, you need detergent and fab softner. oh yea she did so I gave her both.
I said take more, I got tons, she said, nah, when I need more you will have it LOL

I used to make my own detergent but truly store bought works best for me. I tried tons to make my laundry good and soft on others and for some reason it just isn't what I like, so I coupon the heck out of detergents/fabs lol

if someone has 100 boxes of gummy Spongebob on their shelves, you just don't know the intention. it could be for donation to schools etc.
many times my kids schools need snacks to give away for their festivals. .25 to play a bowling game, school gets profit for their needs, kiddo gets fun and a pack of gummies.
so while it all seems crazy there are reasons behind alot of what people do coupon to extreme. it is never all me, me, me.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
on the other hand karen.........

im going to look at a house next week that is a 4br with 400 sq ft than my current house

so i just might have 100-300 fruit sncks by the end of the year hahaha

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
dipence71 said:
It just doesnt work for me. Wish it did..... :hit
Ok so I tried again and went on some sites that show you exactly how to "stack" coupons with sale items and get them for pennies on the dollar or free. I have done it for a couple weeks now and even, (DH is extremely impressed which is a miracle lol) I am impressed with the savings. No I dont eat allot of pre packaged but my DH and 2DD do, like cereal poptarts ect. I saved a ton on body wash for DH and shampoo for DD19 who is very brand specific. I scored toothpaste my DD's use for real cheap as well.

It does take time and effort to clip and organize but I do it in the evening when I am watching tv with the family. I am also an organizing freak as many have called me sooo I think it is kinda fun. I am definitely NOT like the chicks on tv because noone doubles here but am saving allot so far!!!!

I buy 4 news papers on Sunday, local, and a larger city paper(they sell them at local grocery store for 1-15% off) because they say have coupons for the number of ppl in your house. good stock up prices!!
Because if SHTF are you not going to use whatever toothpaste you have vs nothing? or deo,ect. I still am trying to learn how to make my own stuff but between using and bartering I think it will be a plus for me because not everyone will make their own there will be ppl who want the store bought stuff and will barter something I need for it I bet!!!!! .
UPDATE: I went to Krogers and they do double first two like coupons up to .50, And another IGA store doubles any up to $1.00 but I just dont seem to get there much, in another town...... But My biggest savings so far was a trip to Kroger and getting $250 and with Kroger card and coupons got it down to like $134 so I think that is pretty good.
Went to Walgreens and got $150 for less than $25 with coupons and register rewards

So yes I do get discouraged but then I have a trip like the above and it renews my umph!!

Now I order the inserts online in a subscription(10 of each insert) so no more running out on Sunday to get papers now just get one for the adds!!! And I share my coupons I know I wont use with friends and ppl I work with that have babies and use diapers ect. I definately dont need diapers when my youngest is 13 thank god!!!
I am trying to "stockpile" some items that I know we use everyday example:
hubby's axe deo spray got 12 of them for about $1.17 ish each and they r normally $3.50-4.00 each
hubby's Brute deo spray Walgreens had them b1g1free on sale real good price pluse I had $1/1 coupons so got them real cheap
Shaving cream DD's use Walgreens had them b1g1free on sale real good price pluse I had $1/1 coupons so got them real cheap

I figure if I can get something for pennies on the dollar and stuff we use even if it isnt the favorite "brand" if something happens and I do not have money or acess to get items we need then use the "other" brand and be happy to have it or give it to ppl who need it. With this economy you never know......

i know it isn't very "self suficiant" but I would rather start preparing this way till I can get more SS!!!

Latest posts