1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Meat.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Farm Dogs

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by Beekissed, May 30, 2017.

1. Jul 17, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

I think they just hate intruders of all types. My female goes nuts over hawks even when the chickens are in the coop.

Beekissed likes this.
  2. Jul 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM
    crealbilly

crealbilly Lovin' The Homestead

This is our 100% outdoor free range guard dog. He sleeps most of the day under the workbench in my wood shop. He patrols the perimeter of the property at night, even has a path worn down. Anyone or anything comes up on the property he lets us know instantly he'll wake from a dead sleep during the day to bark and let us know. We got him from the animal shelter full grown, he's some kind of Shepard mix and takes his job seriously, very seriously. He even goes up to the nieghbor at night to check the horses and make sure their ok. On top of high protein dog chow, he gets atleast one raw fresh egg a day, he waits for me to come out of the coop - so he can get his egg and eats the shell and all.
    IMG_20170620_130712711.jpg

And if anyone would ever try and come into the house un-greeted. They would have to contend with my wife's indoor 8 month old (already 70 lbs) Rottweiler pup - who my wife has named "Baby Bear".
    IMG_20170611_173820706.jpg

We view farm dogs, first as guard dogs, second as family pets.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 4:43 AM
  3. Jul 22, 2017 at 3:58 AM
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Almost Self-Reliant

Love them! I love Rotties. That is one gorgeous dog!

crealbilly likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2017 at 4:18 AM
    crealbilly

crealbilly Lovin' The Homestead

I think our Rottweiler is the best. He's very smart, loyal & protective of his pack (my wife and I) - and he loves our grandkids. Baby bear is still pretty young even though he's a dog big, he's really just a huge pup.

My youngest daughter also has a female Rottweiler named Mrs V. She has the same personality as baby bear to the point where it's almost Scarry. When Baby Bear gets old enough hopefully this fall my daughter wants to mate Baby Bear and Mrs V with any luck she'll have pups.

Here's Mrs V as you can see she's full grown and a good 150lbs. Good thing Mrs V loves me. No way I would want to tangle with her :yikes
    IMG950684.jpg

Rottweiler puppies are very hard to find. My wife searched 3 months to find baby bear, drove over 100 miles one way to pick him up and paid $550.00 for him. Rottweilers have such a bad rap... Any dog will be mean if you don't train it right and abuse it.

I guess people are just afraid of Rottweilers because their huge and are always the vicious dog in movies... The UPS and FEDEX guys leave stuff down at the end of the driveway and won't even come up to the house.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 4:37 AM
    baymule likes this.
  5. Jul 22, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Almost Self-Reliant

Wow they are not hard to find here but well bred ones are more like $1,500. I love them. They are amazing protectors and love their humans. I will own one someday.

I have delivery guys that are scared of my dogs. Mostly the Spanish Alano. They think she's a pitbull. Little do they know she's friendlier than my mutt!

crealbilly likes this.
  6. Jul 22, 2017 at 6:07 AM
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Everyone is scared of my german shepherd, but unless you threaten me I don't think she'd go after anyone. It's the aussie/heeler cross that's half her size that views everyone with suspicion and has threatening body language to strangers on the property.