FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am hearing a second faint peeping, so I guess another one is pipping. I didn't want to disturb them all to take a look :lol:
But I just want to sit there in front of Susie's box and keep watching....
SO is outside getting the chickpen ready. Even though we both know it'll be a while before they will be able to go outside even on a nice day. Last year we had around 80 degrees at this time of year. So it is not too unreasonable to think we can put them outside in a week or so for a few hours.
I'm just wondering what my kitty, Petey is going to do about these little, moving, peeping, fuzzy things :rolleyes:
He loves watching the sparrows outside the window... :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I couldn't help myself. Took Susie and her little chick off the nest and counted 8 eggs pipping :clap
Here are some more picks

The first hatchling is nearly dried off. Since Susie's box has been sitting next to where the fir branches were for Christmas /Solstice, the needles are still on the floor. I didn't want to vaccuum around her. :rolleyes:
239_100_7436.jpg

Here is one of the eggs with a little crack opend up. I can hear the chick peeping. Sooo cute!!!
239_100_7437.jpg

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah!

I think I'm as excited as you are!

can't wait to see more pics

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It usually takes a few hours for them to make their way out of the shell. I am going to go outside and take advantage of this nice sunshine we are having today. I got laundry in the machine and am going to do some weeding and maybe some planting even. SO said there was a double rainbow early this morning. What a glorious day!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Now there are 4

239_100_7439.jpg

10 more to go
239_100_7440.jpg

I did get to go and clean out my little fenced in garden. It rained a little bit, but the sun was out at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to plant some things in there soon. I still need to turn the soil and add some compost. I don't even know what I am going to plant, I have so much to choose from.

SO has the chick pen all cleaned up, mended and ready. Now all we need is some really warm weather :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Did you mention what kind of chicks you have? I know Suzie isn't their real mother...or wait, is she?

Dont they take forever??? The hardest part is waiting for them to get from pipped to "out". :p

Latest posts