FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Got a total of 8 little fluffballs at bedtime. 6 more to go. I can't wait til tomorrow. I showed them to our dog and she was so cute. she just had to lick them all over.
More pics tomorrow. now it's time for me to try and get some sleep. :p

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How darling is that? Its supposed to be good weather thru Sat, and then look out, FD. Rain Rain Rain for at least 4 - 5 days. They said that Sacto might get 6 inches of rain, so our foothills will also be swamped. So might you and Susie and her babies. Glad that they r in your home!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The rains usually go through us befor they reach you, murphysranch. It was foggy this morning, but the sun is shining now :weee.
One more chick hatched this morning. I could hear pecking out of one of the remaining eggs.
I haven't loaded the pictures onto the computer yet. I'm just busy taking them :lol:
I brought Susie into the living room this morning, to where the wood stove it. It was awfully cold this morning and I noticed that Susie was shivering. I also put a heating pad on her, so she ought be nice and toasty now. The babies ate for the first time this morning.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, Ok, I got pictures!!!

239_100_7457.jpg

239_2_chicks_7455.jpg

239_100_7456.jpg

239_100_7475.jpg

239_100_7486.jpg

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It's been a wonderfull day. We have 10 chicks at last count. It got so warm today I had to take my sweatshirt off, when I was outside gathering up the oak leaves from the front yard to put in the henhouse. Everyone enjoyed the warm sun today. The chickens and the dog layed out in the sun too.

DD came over to show us her new little dog. I decided to let her loose to play with our dog and she made a bee line for the chickens. She actually got a hold of one and tore off a lot of feathers and some skin. The poor chicken is now in the house. I want her wound to scab over, before I let her back outside. She is not happy about being locked up and keeps giving me the evil eye :lol:

DD's little dog is a cutie though and our dog was so excited to have her around.

I keep playing with the chicks....:p I expect one more egg to hatch. I think the other 3 are duds. I had marked them as questionable, when I originally candled them. But I'll give them one more day.

I put some of the chicks in front of my kitty, Petey and he looked at it and took off. I guess he knows not to mess with them. :lol:

When DD's dog chased the chickens, our valiant rooster flew on top of the chicken house and into the neighbors yard. We just now had to help him get back into our yard. He is happy to be back with his ladies and safe on the roost.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
:clap How cute!! BTW is that a BIRD dog you have there? :gig
This dog loved to chase the chickens when she was a pup. She killed one and almost killed another. I had to do some intense training to stop her from chasing them. Now she just loves them to death. She will sit in front of the chicks and just watch them with the silliest look on her face.
Yet she'll chase any other bird out of the yard.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I put them in the chicken house instead of hay. It helps keep it cleaner and the chickens love scratching in it. then in the spring a few weeks before plowing, we take it all out and put it in the field. It is pretty well composted by then.
The chickens dig through it and eat the bugs and seeds they find. And in the process they keep turning it. It is especially nice for them on rainy days, when they are stuck inside for the most part. Gives them something to do.