FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing.. Where did you get the eggs from? You started with 14, were they all fertile? What type of chicken is Susie, she has curly feathers??

How fun!!!

gina

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Here are a couple more picks. I think they are so cute.

239_100_7441.jpg

239_100_7443.jpg

239_susie_with_a_chick.jpg

Susie is their real mom. She snuck these eggs off, so we didn't even know she was laying. I am just glad I found them when I did. It really is too cold for them outside and we have such a rat problem. And now I get to watch them hatch.
I sooo want to open up the eggs LOL, but know better. This is not my first hatch. I figure, I will just keep pestering Susie every hour or so :p
The batteries on my camera went dead, I took so many pictures already :lol:
I'll have to scrounge up some more...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well anyway, at least we are sure no one will be spoiling these little babies.... right? :p :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That last photo is priceless! Mom lookin down at her new baby...so sweet! It reminds me of that children's book "Are You My Mama?"

So Suzie is a frizzle, what is the roo? Just curious. :pop

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Priceless pics, FD!!!! It's beginning to look a lot like spring, everywhere ya go...<singing> So very cute babies! Mother is very unique looking and the babies are all different colors....how many breeds are we looking at?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Priceless pics, FD!!!! It's beginning to look a lot like spring, everywhere ya go...<singing>
Ya, ummm...Bee? I think it's time you took a little vacation to Canada...

Cute chicks Farmer! I only wish it were warm enough here to even consider...(sitting with my slippers on, feet frozen anyway, and goosebumps all over my cold to the bone body) I'm wearing a t-shirt, long underwear, trakpants, a turtle neck sweater, a hoody, and two pairs of socks...and i am COLD!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The momma is a mutt form our own chickens. Part old english game hen and part rhode island red and part who knows what.
There are 2 possible fathers of these chicks, one a black silkie roo the other another of our farm mutts, part sexlink and part old english game, if I remember right. I have it written down, but don't feel like looking it up right now.
It'll be interesting what these chicks'll end up looking like. So far we have one real light yellow one, two brownish ones and one black with white wingtips and white on other spots on it face and body.
But then you never know what the mature feathers'll look like until they grow in. It will be fun to watch though.
Considering what a good layer and momma Susie is, I figure it'll be worth keeping the females, even if the eggs are a little smaller. Susie lays amazingly big eggs for being such a tiny bird.
The boys will all be going in the pot at some point.

Oh and no way are these chicks going to be spoiled :lol: any more than their momma is anyhow :gig
I've already picked them up about 100 times, I think :lol:
I also keep picking Susie up to see if any more hatched. Oh I can hardly wait for tomorrow morning... This is like being a kid at christmas :celebrate
I also found more batteries for the camera :woot so there will be plenty more pictures :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Morel, these chicks and hen are in the house for a reason, it is way to cold for them outside. I'll be putting lights on them to help them stay warm. We heat with wood only and only one room gets up to 70 after having a fire going all day. The rest of the house is lucky to be at 60 most of the time. Some days I just put pants on over my pajamas, because I don't want to take them off and the extra layer helps. :lol:
some days it is warmer outside, but we haven't had any of those lately.
I would not have chosen to let a hen sit on eggs this time of year. Susie took off and hid the eggs from us.
I usually wait at least til the end of april before I hatch chicks or buy chicks. Even then, they require a lot of care with lights and require to be inside a lot. Kinda makes the house stinky ;) So I prefer to wait till may to get chicks, because they can spend more time outside.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Beekissed said:
Priceless pics, FD!!!! It's beginning to look a lot like spring, everywhere ya go...<singing>
Ya, ummm...Bee? I think it's time you took a little vacation to Canada...

Cute chicks Farmer! I only wish it were warm enough here to even consider...(sitting with my slippers on, feet frozen anyway, and goosebumps all over my cold to the bone body) I'm wearing a t-shirt, long underwear, trakpants, a turtle neck sweater, a hoody, and two pairs of socks...and i am COLD!
Just kiddin', Morel! Just had a little sunshine here today and it went to my head...still cold as a mother-in-law's kiss here! ;)