FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO nearly weed whacked it all down. Fortunately he remembered that I dry the mustard for the rabbit and chickens, so he left that part of the field intact. :lol:

It is raining today :(

and my computer is as sluggish as I feel :lol:

We opened the chicken house door just wide enough, so they can go out, if they want to. They didn't want to. The dog went potty and was waiting by the door to go back inside, before SO made it back from opening the henhouse. Little Petey thought he wanted to go outside, so we took him out. After taking the laundry in (before it got totally soaked again) I looked for him and found him hiding under the lavender. He was happy to bo back inside. He's been sleeping on my nice clean blanket :lol:

The chicks are "bored". They are fighting a lot and it is getting mean. I am sure they think they want to go outside also. I ended up hanging my jeans on their pen, so they could dry. The chicks thought that was very entertaining and flew up onto them and started walking around on the top edge of the pen and pulled my socks off that I also had attempted to dry on the pen.

FIL stopped by and dropped off some food. I took the boxes that he used to carry it and put them in the chick pen. This also provided a nice diversion for the chicks.

SO made some lunch (scrambled eggs and sausages) and now everyone is just lounging around. SO watching "stupid tv", he is actually watching a show about stupid stunts people pulled and got video to prove it! :lol:

The chicks are sitting on the boxes and my jeans :rolleyes: The cats and dog are snoozing on various furniture.

1683_100_7691.jpg

I am on the computer...

Oh and we have a nice fire going :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'll just brush it off. I get chicken poop on me all the time. It's unavoidable. Even when I wear my "good" clothes, I manage to get chicken poop on them, usually when I go out to tell SO I am going to where ever and either step in it or a chicken jumps on me or I brush up against it. :lol:
At least they were clean once this week. :gig

Actually I covered them up with some rags, so they can still dry. It is just the best place I have to dry them right now. All the available surfaces in the house are covered with laundry I am trying to dry out. I hate using the dryer. It bakes the dirt in, and I get to pay for it besides. This way I humidify the house too. Yup that's it, poor man's humidifier...:lol:

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I had a wood stove I'd do the same thing! We don't turn the heat on during the winter and sometimes it does get a bit chilly so when it gets to be the cold season here, DH vents the dryer into the house and I do laundry to warm up. If it gets too warm or too humid, I open the back door. I do wish we had a wood stove...

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used to hang the clothes on hangers so they would take up less line space. If it started to rain, I'd grab them and hang them on the shower rod and curtain rods to finish drying.
It gave some of my friends a good laugh- but my electric bills were almost nothing. Averaged $35- 40 monthly.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Rain huh? Guess that means it will be headed my way too. Poop.

Suzie and her 'feather dusters' are What a crazy little bunch :lol:

I love your foraged salad ...very cool! :clap

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
OMG it is warm and sunny out. In the back anyway. Looking out the window it is still cloudy.

I took the feather dusters out earlier. It had stopped raining and really wanted to get their pen cleaned out. It was stinking to high heaven. I threw the sheets in the washer and figured I'd hang them on the line in the rain, just so long they couldn't stink up the house.
Lo and behold it is nice out. They might even dry :lol: I am going to take my long underwear and big sweater off and go out there in just jeans and long sleeved shirt and see what trouble I can get into :cool:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Everytime I see your title I sing "It's raining men" to myself! :p

Glad you are catching a break. I'm right there with you taking chicks in and out daily. Hopefully these two will be the last chicks I have to babysit. The big chickens free range the back yard while I lock the chicks down in their coop during the day, at night they sleep in the kitchen...so far it has worked out. I am looking forward to a break though...grow babies grow!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It was raining down here when I woke up at 6, and it just stopped about a half an hour ago. And of couse I just watered yesterday. I never believe the weather forecast, as nine times out of then we miss the storms that head our way. They almost always split west of here about 10 miles. But not this time!!!

I peeked out the windows, and the potatoes I hilled yesterday in the five gallon buckets have overnight come up over the rim!!! That's purdy cool....