FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
It was raining down here when I woke up at 6, and it just stopped about a half an hour ago. And of couse I just watered yesterday. I never believe the weather forecast, as nine times out of then we miss the storms that head our way. They almost always split west of here about 10 miles. But not this time!!!

I peeked out the windows, and the potatoes I hilled yesterday in the five gallon buckets have overnight come up over the rim!!! That's purdy cool....
That's great about your potatoes. I don't see any green up yet on mine.

I know what you mean about the weather forecast. SO gets so upset when they get it wrong :lol: As if "they" have a magic wand to make it out a certain way! :lol:

I've just been enjoying the weather and the chickens and the field. Taking pictures; and since I finally got new batteries for the camera, I am getting some video too!!!

I promised SO I would make the bacon meatloaf that was posted here last week. Now I have to look it up, so I can get started on it.
FIL dropped off a big package of ground beef and two big packages of really good bacon :ep
Maybe I'll have to go and forage for some more fresh greens to offset all that animal fat. I truly believe that eating a green salad with some good vinegar aids in the digestion of meat and fat!!!
Wine works too, but SO doesn't drink alcohol. :rolleyes:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yesterday was a pretty nice day. Some cloudyness, but warm. I was able to have Susie and her brood be outside most of the day.

I made Ldychef2k's Bacon Explosion Meatloaf for dinner. It was a lot easier to make than I thought. It helped that I had a bag of frozen diced sweet peppers in the freezer. It looked pretty impressive going into the oven. The house smelled heavenly while it was cooking. I picked asparagus, which I cooked up and we had leftover rice. So dinner was complete.

SO kept going back for seconds of the meatloaf. He said: "I love your usual meatloaf, but this one wins the medal!!!" I think he loved it :lol:

He made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and baked up a few. I only ate one, because if I eat more than that I end up not feeling very well. Too much sugar and white flower :/ And his cookies are very big!!! I had a jar of canned peaches as my late night snack.

They predicted a storm to come in around 4 am. It is finally here!! Not much rain yet, but the wind sure is blowing. I can hear the windchimes and see the trees bending. There is one broken branch in the oak in front of my window that is dangling and swinging wildly. I'm sure it will come down soon. Fortunately it is not a big branch.
I thought we were prepared for a rain storm, but now I am a bit concerned about things blowing apart or away. :/ We use tarps in a few places and some of them have become a bit tattered and deteriorated over the past few months and we don't have money to replace them :(

I picked a bunch of daffodils for the house. They are just going to be bat up in this storm anway. This way we will still be able to enjoy them.

One of my neighbors was getting his big cactus cut back and the worker was throwing the pieces out. So I got a cardboard box and asked hime to give me two pieces. This is the type of cactus that is edible. The mexicans around here use it all the time. I am going to have to ask one of the neighbors how to prepare it. But we plan on planting it along the back fence (where people like to climb ovet the fence to rob us) This way it will do double duty: food and improved security :lol:

There was a van parked in front of our house and a man was rearranging daffodils he had laying on the floor of his van. Then he cam with cutters and a bag and asked if he could pick some lemons. I told him "yeah, they are 30 cents a piece", as he started walking back to the street he asked if he could pick some of my daffodils. I said: "we farm and we make our living selling what we grow. The daffodils are for sale also!" I was polite. But we have to be carefull around here, because people will steal the flowers out of your front yard and anything else that they can get a hold of :rant
One of the local farmers told me that they even cut the branches from his appletrees and ornamentals, probably for arrangements and such :barnie

Oooohh, that wind is howling!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh no! I hate it when bad stuff happens all around you. But I am glad that you are safe!

How very sad for your neighbor lady. :( I'm sure she is overwhelmed and will have a hard time believing what has happened.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the couple from across the street were going to get married next month, after being together for about 10 years!! She has the wedding dress and all!! :(

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is why we left Casa Grande. There was too much violence. Here in Arkansas it is so quiet and peaceful. I feel bad for you, too. It hurts just to know the bad things that happen all around you and feel like there is nothing you can do. Don't let their troubles get you down. I hate to ask but how did the fiancee die?