FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Last vacation day today. Still need to go to work tomorrow.

Cookies are done. Its been forever since I got the cookie making assembly line going for huge amounts. Love the new 6 qt Kitchen Aid mixer, making cookie dough is easy peasy.

The wife was dumbfounded how much I cranked out in a short time. And....she made sure to sample every batch. No sugar cookies, though, no real room to spread out to decorate.

Doubling the vitamin D and the light therapy seems to be helping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on all the cookies! I haven't baked even one thing yet. I have a cream cheese pound cake on the agenda for the neighbors. I'll knock that out this morning.

Glad the light and extra D is helping - no one wants to have the blah's this time of year!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are ready for a nice family Christmas. Good!! They can be nice....or eventful...or both. Enjoy yours.

That Kitchenaid has merits and can allso be a pain. I can tell you, from demo experience, that the $40 grinder is a bust. Breaks easily as the metal is poor quality. The blades are good but the core is cheap. Sadly, they know it!! We didn't even try the other attachments, given the high % of failures on this one.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My first KA ginder attachment was great - it did a good job on the 1 pound packages of meat that I would use it for. I would chunk up the meat and freeze it in small packages for single meals. Throw the package in warm water for 10 min to defrost and grind it while it still had some ice crystals in it was best. That grinder worked hard for us for 8 years.
Then the body of it started to come apart at the seams and the opening warped and it was nearly impossible to get the grinder plate in place.
So I bought a new grinder to replace it. The new ones are crap. So disappointed. It jams all the time and does not grind well at all. Looks like we are destined to buy an expensive grinder. I hope to talk DH into buying 1/2 a beef next year since we still aren't ready to raise our own. If we can find a good source of local raised beef, maybe I won't need to raise our own beef and can get some sheep instead. I love lamb.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Check out Premier!. They have started to carry a line of pretty tough processing equipment ---SMALLER for home use but, tough appliances and decent prices. Some of us don't need to large size.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Check out Premier!. They have started to carry a line of pretty tough processing equipment ---SMALLER for home use but, tough appliances and decent prices. Some of us don't need to large size.
Do you have a URL?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like you are ready for a nice family Christmas. Good!! They can be nice....or eventful...or both. Enjoy yours.

That Kitchenaid has merits and can allso be a pain. I can tell you, from demo experience, that the $40 grinder is a bust. Breaks easily as the metal is poor quality. The blades are good but the core is cheap. Sadly, they know it!! We didn't even try the other attachments, given the high % of failures on this one.

that's good to know as i've been contemplating getting one for our mixer sometime.

we have a KA mixer. i'm not sure it is 6 quarts, i don't think it is, but Mom does hundreds of cookies a day when she is using it and she's happy. i do the cleanup work so i know how much it gets used. the best thing for scooping cookies is a stainless steel scoop with a small strap that scrapes it out of the scoop for you so you don't have to get the dough out of there. that gives a pretty uniform size that she likes and then she smushes 'em down with a piece of parchment paper and a cup and that gives the thickness she wants. we only have the one oven so that holds her up on production. it's ok...

we did frost some sugar cookies last week. those are all gone now (given away). i ate one then and the last of the few i had one yesterday. she didn't have any nutmeg so to me it was not as good as i like nutmeg. i'm kinda glad as i'd have wanted more so this helped keep me out of them.