FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We need to consider accommodating potential mobility issues. I love the open floor plan

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is wise to plan for wheelchair, walker and other types of aids. At our old house, the bathroom doors were 24" wide. That was ok until my mother came to live with us after her stroke. We had the master bedroom redone for her, including jackhammering out the shower bottom so she could just walk or roll in. It went from a step over barrier to keep the water in, to a flat, scooped out floor that was much safer for her. We had the bathroom door widened to 30".

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It is wise to plan for wheelchair, walker and other types of aids. At our old house, the bathroom doors were 24" wide. That was ok until my mother came to live with us after her stroke. We had the master bedroom redone for her, including jackhammering out the shower bottom so she could just walk or roll in. It went from a step over barrier to keep the water in, to a flat, scooped out floor that was much safer for her. We had the bathroom door widened to 30".
Yes, @baymule ! Looking at options like no high cupboards. My aunt built a doggie door in the wall between the garage and her pantry. Just open the door and slide the groceries through as unloading them from the car.

We will add a basement to this plan. Possibly add an extension to the exterior garage wall.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I built this one 20 yr ago, I had 36" doors into the bedroom downstairs, a huge shower that you can take a wheel chair into, handle door knobs, vice round, a closet you can take a walker or wheelchair into, etc., a roll under sink basin, an bars in the shower were planned with extra board in walls. Downstairs is an open floor plan. As an only child, I knew it may come to pass that I would need to care for mom. It did and so glad I was already ready! I have an upstairs which I rarely use but it has sure housed family for when they needed help. Also, the occasional guest has used the upstairs. LOL If building, plan ahead. If buying, measure and consider.

I love the big porches. I have similar but, front & back, not a "U".

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All of these things are why I'm having my tub removed and a walk in shower installed in my master b/r. When mom and dad were here - getting them into a tub was darn near impossible. Trying to plan for that contingency...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
91PkUDTW-126271329.jpeg