FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Strawberries in the freezer. The patch was hit hard yesterday. Not sure if we will be able to get more.

Used the remainder of last year's blueberries in waffles this morning. About 3 weeks out from blueberries being ready to pick here.

Going to try to dehydrate some and see how it goes

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I dehydrate them I just let them get shrunken and a bit leathery - but not too far or they'll get really hard, lol. I like them to have just a little "give" left when you squeeze 'em. Kinda like a raisin consistency - maybe a touch drier than a raisin. I've vacuum packed them or sometimes just stick 'em in the freezer. They're not too picky and at my house they don't last very long unless I lose a bag in the freezer.... it's happened and they're still good if they're sealed properly.

I love them out of hand, over sugar-free ice cream because they add a punch of sweetness. In keto, or regular pancakes - with blueberry syrup - oh my! In oatmeal...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This morning's adventure. Low 60s, no humidity.

I have become a curmudgeon. Sang happy songs in my head to the joy of hearing "we only want the big red ones" "that one is not ripe, throw it down" picking strawberries with the non latex gloves and masks (whole family?)

And then "how is that old guy filling up his bucket so quickly?" There were enough good people trying, though, one family asked for advice. Not a total loss. Lol

View attachment 14125
View attachment 14126

where is that at?

i never throw anything picked on the ground (i also pick up anything on the ground that the animals are leaving behind and keep it all in the container and sort it out later to feed to the worms or compost pile. it saves a lot of bug and fungus problems later)...

i picked the 3rd or 4th time in my patch, finally got enough to put some mashed ones in the freezer for shortcakes (in about a week and a half - i needed enough for about 10 people).

DSC_20200614_185140-0400_474_Strawberries_thm.jpg

i'll need to pick again in a few days and should get about the same amount (which will mostly be used for freezer jam since i'm eating the last jar of it from a few years ago now).

birds and chipmunks getting their fair share.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Local orchard that does a lot of pick your own. Many other places shutting down as the older folks retire and the next generation not interested.

After cleaning up my pickings, I had a bowl of stuff I used to feed to the chickens. I miss having them this time of the year.

Really worried about the big blueberry patch. Founder passed away this year and the grounds aren't being kept up like they used to be. Will probably get twice our normal harvest just to have some a little longer

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Blueberries will start soon here. I plan to go pick this year. Haven't for a few yrs now but, I do love them. Next month both figs & elderberries will start ripening to pick stage. It will be busy!!
Elderberries......yum