FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Paisley the Brave decided she needs to supervise my work day. She is parked on my volunteer gig work table and finds my backpack very comfortable
20230809_145055.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Took the wife out for a spin last evening, driving by several homes for sale she found online. One was okay, but in a not so good area, just down the road from a trailer park that has had crime issues lately. Second house was much better, but butts up against the National Guard Training Center (they do a lot of ordinance disposal training, so huge boom booms each month -10 miles away here currently and sometimes the house shakes). Plus, a major 2 track rail line is across the road.

Actually talked about touring the second one.

We had an issue last week credit wise where had to put a freeze on the 3 credit reporting services (we are okay, that is a long story for another day). Wife lamented if we want to do tours, the realtor may want to run a check prior engaging us, so we would have to toggle the freeze on/off. Took the opportunity to note if we had a bank pre approval letter, that would simplify a ton of things. Finally, she understands.

Last edited:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just happened to log into my Citibank Costco card yesterday. Don't know why.

Found that at noon a company I've never heard of charged $114.18. I was standing in the kitchen at noon, and hubs came in at 12:11 for lunch. And I wracked my brain to see if I had preordered anything. NOPE>

Also Walgreens charged $0.01, back on September 5th.

I disputed both. They cancelled my card and will send me another one.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I just happened to log into my Citibank Costco card yesterday. Don't know why.

Found that at noon a company I've never heard of charged $114.18. I was standing in the kitchen at noon, and hubs came in at 12:11 for lunch. And I wracked my brain to see if I had preordered anything. NOPE>

Also Walgreens charged $0.01, back on September 5th.

I disputed both. They cancelled my card and will send me another one.
I strongly suggest getting an RFID blocking credit card holder. Years ago my wallet was scanned in crowd outside the ballpark and they grabbed one card's information. Seeing more reports of POS device reader overlays in retail stores and gas stations.

The $0.01 charge is an attempt to determine if the card was valid. A place I used to work handling online transactions for clients had setup monitoring/reporting alerts looking for behaviors like that.

My data was part of a data breach as my employer was swapping retirement fund management companies. The fund manager used a third party application that was breached.

In my case they had enough information to impersonate me and opened new credit and debit cards in my name with Chase. They used my email, so I got notifications of the activity and was able to get things locked down pretty quickly.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was checking one of my CC's, "Aspire"... and found 2 charges for $150 each at a Costco in CA... with a $50 membership fee at the Costco.... talked to the cc fraud dept... and it was done as online order... cancelled card and sending me the fraud charge papers to sign...send back... had my 30 yr simple e-mail account breeched and shut down for fraudulent activity.... cannot get into it and had to set up a new e-mail account... need it for work to sent electronic copies of pay info...every 2 weeks..
Beginning to really HATE some of this electronic garbage.....
Going to slowly close most of the cc accounts I have... and put a monitoring service on some of this stuff... also going to do a Title lock on the house since all titles are online now....
That is plain WRONG.... Titles should NOT be accessible online...PERIOD

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I was checking one of my CC's, "Aspire"... and found 2 charges for $150 each at a Costco in CA... with a $50 membership fee at the Costco.... talked to the cc fraud dept... and it was done as online order... cancelled card and sending me the fraud charge papers to sign...send back... had my 30 yr simple e-mail account breeched and shut down for fraudulent activity.... cannot get into it and had to set up a new e-mail account... need it for work to sent electronic copies of pay info...every 2 weeks..
Beginning to really HATE some of this electronic garbage.....
Going to slowly close most of the cc accounts I have... and put a monitoring service on some of this stuff... also going to do a Title lock on the house since all titles are online now....
That is plain WRONG.... Titles should NOT be accessible online...PERIOD
Ugh, one benefit of the divorce was shutting down all of the joint accounts. Down to one bank card, 1 gas card, 1 HSA card, and 2 credit cards. No retail store cards. Online account and email passwords get changed every 6 months.

I despise online payments, but the check/ACH theft is worse that I ever remember. We write two checks per month, the landlord and the yard/snow plow guy

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GASP! Is that how they do it? Running straight to A to go look for something. I ONLY carry the Citi card in my wallet. But howabout the US Bank debit card? Same thing needed? Or Lowes cc?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
GASP! Is that how they do it? Running straight to A to go look for something. I ONLY carry the Citi card in my wallet. But howabout the US Bank debit card? Same thing needed? Or Lowes cc?
If the card has the RFID chip, they can grab it. Cards you can just wave over the POS device.
Closely inspect the card reader covers too. An fake overlay is put over a real device. Both the real device and overlay read your card, so the transaction looks legit.