FarmerJamie - A new beginning

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toys for Tots week has begun. Tonight is counting, sorting, and organizing. Assembling requests the remainder of the week, distribution is Saturday. 11 years of doing this, moves me to tears every year.

A few more open personal items almost completed. Six months on the new job with a raise and bonus. Definitely helps.

I think Monday's pay is going to warrant a celebration steak dinner with the missus.

i'm so confused! didn't you just retire? or am i thinking of someone else? seems like a lot of folks have retired recently. :)

congrats, i'm glad things are working out for you. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Boy, am I out of shape. Completely collapsed last night after leaving early. Lots to do tonight in prep for tomorrow. 24 hours and counting down

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
New spin this year.. ..word from another toy charity of parents leaving donation pickup, going straight to Wallyworld and exchanging everything for gift cards. We are now invalidating all UPC codes and local stores have been notified.

The optimist in likes to think this is done for a good reason, like maybe getting a single large item like a gaming machine for the family, but the cynic in me says no. Hard not to judge after seeing a team donating a collective 500 hours of their time (not even considering the cost of the donated items).

Some scattered complaints on the local FB group, most folks aren't pleased with the actions of a few, so maybe there is hope for our country

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
304 families got a little help this year. Amazingly 10% never showed up, despite two phone calls this week - one reminder earlier in the week and one follow up today. Our kids did great, very proud of them.

I had some small stuffed animals that I passed out to little kids waiting in line. The smiles of joy just melts your heart.

Was pleasantly surprised, only had one nasty creature in the whole bunch this year. Showed up as an hour early demanding to be let in. Uh, no.
All in all, a good outcome this year

Last edited: