Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm loving the pictures... we're getting ready to do the same thing to the entire top floor of our house this spring... I can't wait to have nice walls, ceilings that aren't held up with staples and windows that don't leak like sieves... ours are old wooden windows, but they don't have the weights, just plain old windows with 100 years worth of paint on them... we're going to replace them with vinyl since we don't live in a heritage house or one with windows worth saving... lol

Your pictures are inspiring/motivating! :thumbsup

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
This old house was lathed and plastered on all of the exterior walls first and then the interior walls were added later when it was originally built in the 20's. This means that occasionally the lath does not stop at the corner of the room but goes on into the next room beyond. This is the case in this room. Given the problem you simply break the lath over the last stud, which is slightly beyond the corner in this case, and add a 2 X 2 to the stud so that it extends far enough out to screw the new sheet rock firmly into place. Really not a big deal once you know how. Cutting and installing that nailer is first on my list for tomorrow, my last day off.
Is it possible to be a pest and ask if you could take pictures of how you fix that?

Our house is the same way... the lath doesn't end at the end of the room... we took down the exterior dining room wall, but don't know exactly how to attach the vapor barrier or to make the corner look perfect again... for the moment, because we can't afford drywall right now, our dining room wall is just fiberglass insulation with vapour barrier, we taped it to the corner where the lath still sticks out, but that's obviously not correct... it was just a way to seal it for the winter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Those pictures are something! Oh my goodness, what a project.

When will your place be back to normal??

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I look forward to someday being able to build a house myself. How nice it would be to be able to just push in insulation and hang sheet rock without having 3 days of demolition and cleanup followed by trouble shooting weird corners! :love
lol... me too... I look forward to working on a house that is built 16" on center, instead of having joists/studs put in wherever the guys building the place felt they should go... it makes drywalling really hard when one stud is 24 inches away, the next will be 11, then 17, etc... all the way around the room. Our plaster is in bad shape in most rooms, so we are gutting everything in 80% of the house.

Once we finish this place, it's being sold to fund our dream hobby farm build... :thumbsup