tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm curious others thoughts on fasting. I think it fits into SS as disease prevention.

But also fits in on frguality - too tired to cook? Dont get takeout, just skip supper.

And it fits into prepping. Food security is a less scary thing if you are comfortable and confident fasting.

Do you practice fasting? What works for you? Why do you fast?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Right now I like to eat at 10 a.m. IDK how I got in that groove. I used to eat afternoon or evening.

I'm trying fasting on schedule and more consistently in 2021. I feel best while fasting over 24 hours and I'm interested in other health benefits. I will hit my goal weight in a couple months and then will need to learn to fast without losing weight. (Can you say carbs?) 😁

My first fast was 1 hour. And I failed :gig my longest was 48 hours. I want to work up to 60 hours because it fits my schedule better. It took me 2 years to get from 24 hour to 30 hour fasts. IDK if I will ever achieve 60 hours.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really want to try a longer fast - maybe starting with 24 hours just to break my routine. I really want to try to get back into it. I know a lot of it is in my head...I think that if I worked hard all day long I neeeeeeeeeeeed something to eat. If I could succeed in changing my mind maybe I could change my body, lol!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I enjoy fasting, I can get quite a high from it. I think it is a great thing to have in the tool box. Various types of fasts for various uses. Long fasts turn meditative and spiritual for me. Shorter fasts seem to act as a soft reset, boost my energy.

I use it when I require it, but am not currently practicing as I did over the last few years. Just in a difference stage where my body is craving different things, requires a different balance. Right now, less carbs are certainly part of that! I have been training to "listen to my body" for a long time now (rather than push through everything) and fasting was helpful to make me more aware of it. I find adding more fat has been beneficial to reduce migraine pain and add energy for me, but with (inherited) heart issues as well, at times I get nervous about the route I follow. I wouldn't be confident to endorse any specific way, cos I havent figured it out myself yet!

Goodluck, I hope it works out well for you :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I failed at fasting in 2021. :gig I would get into a groove, feel great for a couple week and then have crazy cravings and the wheels fell off the bus. This had been a pattern for me. When I would eat junk food (enriched/fortified)+ fasting I would do well, but when I tried pairing healthy diet (no enriched/fortified foods) with fasting I just couldn't sustain it. I believe I had a marginal thiamine (B1) status. Fasting is known to deplete B1, and our bodies can only store about 2 weeks' worth. Hopefully that was the problem and fasting will be more sustainable when I continue my B1 supplement.

It's been so long since I've fasted over 20 hours that I am trying broth fasting. It's just easier. It has many of the benefits of clean fasting. Right now I need to rebuild my confidence in making progress on health and fitness goals.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm better off running just a little lean on calories, if i restrict things too much my body starts hoarding every bit of energy it can. i have a very efficient metabolism. this time of the year i can get by on 1200 calories or less a day. in the summer i can run that three or four times higher and not gain weight. the really hard parts are the in-between seasons when i want to eat a lot more but i'm not really burning it off yet. and then the injuries sometimes catch me by surprise.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 2 of broth fasting. Feels just fine. Doesn't feel fantastic, like a clean fast. Oh well. It was an easy win to get past 24 hours. I'm curious what happens around 48 hours since I usually crap out with dehydration symptoms about then. I'm consuming more sodium and fluid than I would on a clean fast, so maybe it will be fine?