Favorite "around the yard " rifle

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Guns put food on the table in other ways than killing. Can barter them or sell them to buy food or pay a bill. I have had to do that before.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But, by the same token, cash can put food on the table. My ex-husband fancied himself a gun collector and bought guns to the detriment of our family. No one in life NEEDs 100+ fire arms. Wants and needs are different.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the firearms I need. I would like to have a 22-250, that is a sweet rifle. I just don't have a need to carry one around the yard. I don't have a problem shooting an animal for food or one that is destroying my property. I like to hunt, but my husband isn't a hunter, so it goes. I miss deer hunting.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have the firearms I need. I would like to have a 22-250, that is a sweet rifle. I just don't have a need to carry one around the yard. I don't have a problem shooting an animal for food or one that is destroying my property. I like to hunt, but my husband isn't a hunter, so it goes. I miss deer hunting.

@baymule you are welcome to come take a nice vacation in the north and hunt all the deer you care to get a license for. i'm not even sure what those limits are any more, but we sure get plenty of them here. you know that though... :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so clued into deer, my head swivels and I say Deer! This at going 70 MPH down the highway. A few days ago, I turned on our road, off in the distance in a 100 acre pasture, was a deer head poking up above the grass. I stopped the car and told my husband, Deer. he was amazed. it would have been a good shot. ;) Of course, I know how to hang, skin, gut and process the deer. I butchered a pig for a neighbor this afternoon. It was a feral pig, red in color, so half domestic, 40 pounds, young, good looking meat. It was in a trap, I told him bring it to me and I would take care of it for him. He and his wife are both on disability, poor, and that meat will go to good use.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I keep bringing up the idea of raising a pig or two... or possibly a goat or two to hubby. The pigs would churn up a fallow area and turn it into good garden with very little work from me. And, they'd provide good meat! The goats would mow down the brush between cultivated lawn and woods, and they would destroy the rampant poison ivy... with very little work from me. That would clean up a lot of tick habitat. Some how, he doesn't share my enthusiasm for farming.

I'd love to have a deer jump into my freezer. However, when I aim to kill, I rarely hit the target! Nor do I think I have the stamina or desire to learn to hunt without a mentor to guide me every step of the way.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep bringing up the idea of raising a pig or two... or possibly a goat or two to hubby. The pigs would churn up a fallow area and turn it into good garden with very little work from me. And, they'd provide good meat! The goats would mow down the brush between cultivated lawn and woods, and they would destroy the rampant poison ivy... with very little work from me. That would clean up a lot of tick habitat. Some how, he doesn't share my enthusiasm for farming.

I'd love to have a deer jump into my freezer. However, when I aim to kill, I rarely hit the target! Nor do I think I have the stamina or desire to learn to hunt without a mentor to guide me every step of the way.
There is nothing like home raised meat!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t carry out in the yard. We don’t have bears, our place is totally enclosed in non climb horse wire, 4’ tall. We have 3 LGDs that keep coyotes away. BARRING A COUGAR SHOWING UP AND SNACKING ON 4 DOGS, I don’t feel threatened. People who know us open the front gate and drive in. Those that don’t stay on the outside and honk their horn. Some people who know us still won’t try to get past the dogs.

Let me EAT those words! We have a cougar in the neighborhood, it killed 5 goats a mile from us just a few nights ago. This evening a neighbor whose place backs up to ours, heard a cougar scream nearby. I need to get something out and keep it handy. I don't like this! My friend and guy we buy hay from, has lived here all his life and said it's been 6 years since a cougar was making problems around here. His Dad was also raised here and said there used to be more of them, they lost livestock to them.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With the gun laws here in canada we are not allowed to carry handguns on our person. We can have them and need a permit to transport it from your home to the range.
On the homestead I always have a 22, a 303 and 12 gauge ready just in case. We have mink, lynx, coyote/wolf hybrids and now black bears in our area. I have a 22-250 on my wish list.