Favorite Homemade Sweets

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spritz cookies followed by lemon curd. Actually I'm looking to make some lemon curd here soon as eggs are really starting to come in.

i've probably eaten a few hundred lbs of spritz cookies in my life and never known what they were called until a moment ago. :) we don't have a cookie press and i've never made them, but for some reason when those come by i really do enjoy them. i'm not sure i'd consider them a shortbread cookie but they do seem similar. put a bit of raspberry jam in the middle and i'm in.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
huh. :) i have a huge preference for tart cherries and haven't ever had a pie made from those when they were fresh. we get the dried ones for our use and i cook them once in a while with my oatmeal. by the time the oatmeal is done the cherries are plumped back up and still have a ton of flavor. i don't really consider them a sweet though so i did not even think of them for this thread. with my large sweet tooth you'd think that i would want to put sugar in the oatmeal, but the only sweet i add to that is sometimes i'll add peanut butter which has some added sugar, but it still isn't a very sweet breakfast. what i like about it though is that it doesn't crash me at all and the peanut butter and cherries along with the oats can hold me pretty much for an entire day. that's a lot of oomph out of a quarter cup of oats and some cherries and a few spoonfulls of oatmeal.
I also do peanut butter in my oatmeal, but I add maple syrup instead of sugar. I eat this at least once a week.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to try PB. I like pecans & brown sugar in my oatmeal. :drool

Pecan pie with a chess type filling, none of that syrup stuff.

chess type filling is similar to one we use for some desserts, but we don't use any eggs in it. very useful once cooled for adding in sliced strawberries or blueberries. it is more like a thick pudding.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk @CrealCritter
Is it acceptable to make a cherry pie from pie filling that I canned myself?
Store bought is horrible, which is why I prefer to make my own. It doesn't hurt that I live near Door County WI which has many cherry orchards.
I can't have cherry pie for breakfast anymore 😭 and only a small piece every so often (monthly). I totally cut out all sweets from my diet. I made a promise to my granddaughter's to only have a small desert once a month. Last night I had a small tiny slice of cheesecake (4 fork fulls) It tasted so weird, the sweet taste lasted hours in my mouth.😜

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk @CrealCritter
Is it acceptable to make a cherry pie from pie filling that I canned myself?
Store bought is horrible, which is why I prefer to make my own. It doesn't hurt that I live near Door County WI which has many cherry orchards.
Indeed it is acceptable. Years ago we used to be able to get 5 gallon buckets of frozen cherry pie filling that was nearly as good as fresh.