Favorite Homemade Sweets

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it isn't easy to have a sweet tooth and also want to lose extra weight but sometimes i just want something sweet.

butter and brown sugar and mix that up well and add raw oats, it is crunchy and takes me a while to eat it and then make sure to drink some water too so it won't soak up all the fluids from my body as it gets "down there[tm]". :)

another way is to take some milk and stir in brown sugar. stir it a few times and then eat some peanuts and sip that. it's almost like a maple bun candy. close enough.

while i'm munching on this a few nights ago i'm talking to Mom about making maple buns because we've always liked those and also made them ourselves. i said when i hit 170lbs we can make some to celebrate. at the rate i'm going it might be July or August before i get that low.

in the meantime i have some strawberries in the freezer to get used up so those will be coming out of there the next few weeks. i know some of them are not going to be good so those will end up as worm food anyways.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk @CrealCritter
Is it acceptable to make a cherry pie from pie filling that I canned myself?
Store bought is horrible, which is why I prefer to make my own. It doesn't hurt that I live near Door County WI which has many cherry orchards.
I can't have cherry pie for breakfast anymore 😭 and only a small piece every so often (monthly). I totally cut out all sweets from my diet. I made a promise to my granddaughter's to only have a small desert once a month. Last night I had a small tiny slice of cheesecake (4 fork fulls) It tasted so weird, the sweet taste lasted hours in my mouth.😜

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@R2elk @CrealCritter
Store bought is horrible, which is why I prefer to make my own. It doesn't hurt that I live near Door County WI which has many cherry orchards.

i see no problem with that at all. :) i love tart cherries. we have a similar area in Michigan that grows them and we probably buy $100-200 worth of dried cherries a year (i prefer them over almost any other thing for making oatmeal and it's like having a cherry pie for breakfast... sorta... :) ).

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk @CrealCritter
Indeed it is acceptable. Years ago we used to be able to get 5 gallon buckets of frozen cherry pie filling that was nearly as good as fresh.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a FYI...

This is the results of strictly limiting sweets and lots of exercise. When I say strictly limited I mean a small amount of something sweet once a month and no soda or sweetened drinks. Water and black coffee are good enough for me.

Here's the results! I've had this belt for many years, I wear it daily. You can see the worn notches. The distance between each notch is 1 1/2 inches.
IMG_20220524_110203093~2.jpg

First notch is winter with sweets
Second notch is summer with sweets
Third notch is winter with strictly limited sweets
Forth notch is the beginning of summer with strictly limited sweets.

So essentially my waist has been reduced by 1.5 x 2 = 3 inches and it's just the beginning of summer. I have to admit this was very hard to do. I really like cherry pie, it's my favorite dessert. I used to call cherry pie the breakfast of champions 😅But I made a promise to my granddaughter's, based on my last doctor's visit because they wanted to know the results of my doctor's visit so I told the the absolute truth ❤️. If a man can't keep a promise to his grandchildren, then a man is ... We'll, I simply won't go there. You can fill in the ...

But the real question is... Where do I go from here?
1) Enjoy and be thankful for feeling absolutely great again \o/
2) Buy a new belt
3) As my jeans wear out, go down to the next lower waist size again and again until I have no more big jeans left 😅

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
made up some maple flavored frosting so i can get the peanuts out and call it maple buns. a no crust version because i can avoid a few calories that ways and i've found i don't really need the crust anyways.

as usual when making frosting i start off trying to make a little and end up making more. i think i have a month's supply of sweet tooth and peanut crunching goodness lined up.