Favorite ways to eat oatmeal

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
tamlynn said:
I don't have kefir or raw yogurt. Would buttermilk work?
Ideally it would be cultured.
Cultured yogurt will work as well.
Buttermilk you buy in the store is not real buttermilk.
Its usually just 2% milk with bacteria added to slime it up.
But, if it does have cultures in it, it will do the job!
Wait, isn't bacteria what makes the culture?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
tamlynn said:
I don't have kefir or raw yogurt. Would buttermilk work?
Ideally it would be cultured.
Cultured yogurt will work as well.
Buttermilk you buy in the store is not real buttermilk.
Its usually just 2% milk with bacteria added to slime it up.
But, if it does have cultures in it, it will do the job!
Wait, isn't bacteria what makes the culture?
Yes, but real buttermilk has a natural bacteria in it.
And it is actually made with the liquid that is left after you make butter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Buttermilk sold in stores and often made for cooking at home is not what is leftover from making butter (that is buttermilk, too, but a different kind) but is actually whole milk or a skim or part skim milk that is cultured, similar to culturing yogurt or kefir. Different products, same name, leading to confusion. Both are good to cook with. Cultured buttermilk will have more bacteria, especially if made with lovely raw milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BTW, I just made oatmeal cookies. Haven't made them for a couple of years. I used our home-rolled oats, freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour, home-rendered (but not home-grown....yet!) lard, chopped dark baking chocolate, sea salt, molasses and less sugar than the recipe called for. Still too sweet, but ooooooo, yummy! Two days of COLD rain and that time of the month....couldn't help it. I jumped right off the wagon! :D

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Buttermilk sold in stores and often made for cooking at home is not what is leftover from making butter (that is buttermilk, too, but a different kind) but is actually whole milk or a skim or part skim milk that is cultured, similar to culturing yogurt or kefir. Different products, same name, leading to confusion. Both are good to cook with. Cultured buttermilk will have more bacteria, especially if made with lovely raw milk.
Gotcha. thanks!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I've never soaked oatmeal. Or really thought about it. Which is silly, since I always soak my beans. Even SO says "hun, where's the whey so I can put some in the beans?" He's such a sweet dear :D

Anyway, I don't have yogurt or kefir or buttermilk. I have whey from making mozzarella, but the only fermenting I do is kombucha. I don't have much/any kitchen and fridge space. So what are my options? I feel like ACV would make it really bitter, and whey might make it fall apart. Also, how much do I add? Do I drain the water off before cooking it after the soak? Since it will have soaked up a lot of water at that point, do I add less when I cook it? Etc, etc.

Thanks!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am brand new to soaking grains, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you just add enough liquid so the grains are moist, not like soaking beans where you have a lot of water. So you would add enough whey to make a really stiff dough consistency.

But tonight is my first try with soaking rolled oats, so we'll see.