Feed and Tack Room

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YOU USED A CINDER BLOCK TO ROUND THE EDGES? INGENIOUS! I'LL FILE THAT AWAY FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. WHEN I DON'T CARE ABOUT FINAL CONTOURS, I USE A SHARP KNIFE. OTHERWISE, I'D USE THE TABLE SAW WITH THE BLADE ANGLED.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today we painted the Feed and tack room doors. Inside and out on one, just the outside on the other. We went to Lowes yesterday and got paint. It is gray with just a touch of blue tint.

b27401ba-bde4-4db8-9cbd-5b4fa80a12e4-jpeg.33183

How does it look next to the old tin?

b893e040-c270-4364-adbd-8210cb4f4a53-jpeg.33184

I painted one side and edges of the door latch pieces.

91b53013-2ded-46f3-abda-10e98ec92641-jpeg.33185

Husband says we should paint the green corner trim so it will match the doors and old tin. I like the used-scrap-look of the green corner trim.

What do y’all think? Green or paint it?

ced8ffe5-b6ba-4cc1-a954-d118b3fb4377-jpeg.33187

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say: If you have time, energy, weather is cooperating... paint it. It will extend it's life. And it will provide yet an other note of contrast against the weathered tin. But, I'd not use the gray. I'd choose a contrasting color that will add a note of POP!!!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We bought this place in September 2014. I painted the whole interior and laid all new floors before we moved in. Moving day was February 14, 2015 which also happened to be our 19th anniversary.

View attachment 5863

There was nothing here but a doublewide and 8 acres.

View attachment 5864

A neighbor volunteered to build a fence to hold the horses and he worked over the months, setting posts until he was tired, then he went home. When he was ready to string wire, DH gave him money to hire day laborers and he finished up just as our son showed up with the horses, just days before we moved.

View attachment 5866

We had a portable building moved from our land that we sold. It took a bulldozer to drag it to the road because the land was black gooey gumbo clay. That is a 7' steel tank culvert in this picture. The building was loaded up and I followed the truck to our new home and it was unloaded and set up.

View attachment 5867

We bought a metal carport and had that set up. That necessitated the taking down of 3 trees and getting the stumps ground.
View attachment 5865

The horses had no barn. Eleven days after we moved in, it snowed. We felt terrible for the poor horses. Over the next few weeks, it stormed, it snowed again and threw in a couple of ice storms for good measure.

View attachment 5861

View attachment 5862
That's a beautiful way to start a new home. and It's very wide too. I will definitely add some more goats since they are much easier for me to take care of.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, LOVE the use of the old tin...very beautiful look to it. Can't wait to see the finished tack room!

You probably know this, but a few shows on Dr. Pol brings it to my mind...the edges of tin seem to attract horses for some reason...seems they are always getting ripped up on pieces of tin. Any way to cap those edges to prevent that?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Haha Bee, we already have the bent corner trim, courtesy of our neighbor Robert, and it was free to him. It is a dark green, should look good with the old tin, huh? We are going to trim around the doors with it, everywhere else, the ends are where the horses can't get to them.

Somehow I KNEW you'd already be on top of that! :D

Latest posts