Fill up your Gas tanks and reserve tanks TODAY!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Problem is ... There is ONE place close enough to walk to. They are a little bigger than your average convenience store and sell a lil bit of everything -- plumbing, bread, soda, potatoes, and BBQ sandwiches, etc. At prices roughly 3x what you might pay "in town".

There's a little town I MIGHT could get to on a bicycle, and make it back the same day. Not much there though. Not even a grocery store.

I remember reading in a book made by my family about when great-grandma was raising her kids. They'd load up in the wagon and head to town. It was a full day (or two) event and very rare. They'd stock up on everything they'd need for 6 months or so. If I had to travel to the nearest grocery store, it'd be almost like that. Further than a day-long trail ride I went on once, to go round trip.
I don't think we will be walking to "towns". Most of the real supplies will be found in the countryside. Within 2 days all stores will be picked bare.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The ones I truly feel sorry for in a way is all those folks living in housing developments, especially the ones that have a HOA. They won't have a clue as to what to do if all of this does come to pass.
In a way, yes. In other ways, I guess that is what you get when you live with a bunch of people who spend way too much of their time worrying about what color someone paints their front door, whether or not they have a basketball hoop, or if they planted the "right" type of tree.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Shiloh Acres said:
Problem is ... There is ONE place close enough to walk to. They are a little bigger than your average convenience store and sell a lil bit of everything -- plumbing, bread, soda, potatoes, and BBQ sandwiches, etc. At prices roughly 3x what you might pay "in town".

There's a little town I MIGHT could get to on a bicycle, and make it back the same day. Not much there though. Not even a grocery store.

I remember reading in a book made by my family about when great-grandma was raising her kids. They'd load up in the wagon and head to town. It was a full day (or two) event and very rare. They'd stock up on everything they'd need for 6 months or so. If I had to travel to the nearest grocery store, it'd be almost like that. Further than a day-long trail ride I went on once, to go round trip.
I don't think we will be walking to "towns". Most of the real supplies will be found in the countryside. Within 2 days all stores will be picked bare.
Good point. Maybe I'm not that bad off then. I've only lived here a year, and I've seen the livestock increase by about 5 times on this road. Lots of gardens going in too. We're in a sort of out of the way dead-end area, and I know most of the nighbors. Some sf-sufficient survival types, and mostly helpful and friendly. Would be nice if all we need turns out to be in walking distance.

I'm gonna need more goats in that case. :D

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the people that don't live in an HOA neighborhood and don't have enough money to get by. I also feel sorry for people that live in HOA communities for the same reason. Got news for everyone. We're all in this together.

I expect 4.00 a gallon gas by summer. Then after people have parked their SUV's again and started buying more sensible less comfortable transportation the demand will go down and so will the prices. In other words the very same thing that has been happening for 30 years or so. Each time they go a little higher then come down to a higher level than they were, but we are all thankful because they came down. So it will be time to fire up the ole 14 mpg SUV and suck up some more gas.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Predictions are a lot like opinions and you know what opinions are a lot like.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm, for the past couple of years my husband has been "preaching" to keep your primary vehicle 3/4 to full tank at all times. Especially if you live in a large city.

If/When the cities begin to go up in flames, you don't want to have to wait in line at a gas station to "get out of Dodge"....

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All well and good to say keep the gas tank full, but out here, you just can't do that. It takes too much gas to get anywhere! Takes a third of a tank to get to town and back, a whole tank if we have to go to the next town over.

I am SOOO ready to move.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
7 of our 5 gallon tanks are full (ouch) and Surburban is full (really ouch) and just need DH to tank up on his way to work tonight. Cost 228 bucks, so far. We are @ 3.15/gal and its been going up. DH says foxnews says TSGHTF. I think this might be it guys.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I fulled my tank up today. $30 and I got less than 9 gallons. It was 3.57/gal I think.
I remember when I could fill my tank with a 20. :old

Sugar is another one that is going to be scarce. I am planning on living with way less of it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I gave up sugar 3 years ago. At least that is one thing I wont have to worry about :p Dairy is an entirely different issue.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well my nanny goat died last week, so I am scared to buy milk if the price of gas really goes up like expected. 2 years ago it hurt everytime I had to get some. If that happens again, I'm putting everyone on rations.

Latest posts