Financial goals for 2010

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Keep on doing what I've been doing about the money income and outflow, as far as frugality and such.

Start a farm journal in which I plan to keep better records of income and expenses: crop yields and profits, feed consumption and costs, weather conditions, grass quality during the different seasons, lamb crops and profit made, animal treatments and results, de-worming efforts and results, etc.

I hope to be more financially organized this year. :fl

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
deb4o said:
a pack of seeds is cheap, compared to the veggies one gets back, to me this is a no brainer.
lol.... this is funny, my mom lives in a mini home, in a trailer park... she invested in a small plastic greenhouse, 6 raised beds, dirt and manure to fill those raised beds, seeds, lights to start the seeds inside, trays, fertilizer, etc....

She got two tomatoes and one green pepper... I was invited down for 'one bite of her $500 tomato' :)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Today I started my personal "austerity challenge". It's been in the works for a few weeks, actually. I am trying to see just how little I can live on each month for 2010. Have made myself accountable by blogging about it. Going to live off my food storage, limiting spending to $50 a month, after bills are paid. Have trimmed back everything I can as far as bills, paid off most of my debt, and hope to also decrease consumption of gas and electricity in order to have more money to put away for emergencies. Will see how it goes.

ETA: Part of the challenge is replacing the food that I consume from storage with food from my garden. If the gophers don't get it first.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
Cut the darn grocery bills from over $185 at the low end average week to?
Planning ahead helped me a lot... get the sale flyers, make a week worth of menus based on what is on sale (or what you have in pantry, garden, etc.) and then don't go back to the grocery store... we went from $100/week (and throwing away things I didn't use) to about $45/week, but there is only two adults in our house, no kids :)

Ladychek, I really like your austerity challenge idea... I wonder how much of our debts hubby and I could pay off if we did this for one year? One year doesn't seem so bad really...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Win the lottery!
:lol:
Good luck with that :D

If the lottery doesn't work, I would like to get the second paid off before interest rates get too stupid. We already got rid of all the credit card balances.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
deb4o said:
a pack of seeds is cheap, compared to the veggies one gets back, to me this is a no brainer.
lol.... this is funny, my mom lives in a mini home, in a trailer park... she invested in a small plastic greenhouse, 6 raised beds, dirt and manure to fill those raised beds, seeds, lights to start the seeds inside, trays, fertilizer, etc....

She got two tomatoes and one green pepper... I was invited down for 'one bite of her $500 tomato' :)
thats one pricy salad lol
sorry she didn't have good luck with her mini greenhouse,that was alot to invest,I think she could of done better by just growing in containers.Iam lucky, we have the land to do a big garden,so I can, and we have the bounty all year.
I hope your mom does better this year, now that she has the biggest expense out of the way all she will need is seed.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Start a farm journal in which I plan to keep better records of income and expenses: crop yields and profits, feed consumption and costs, weather conditions, grass quality during the different seasons, lamb crops and profit made, animal treatments and results, de-worming efforts and results, etc.
This is what I would like to do; but more-so about finances & medical; costs of grain & hay, actually weigh out milk instead of guessing by the container, kidding outcome, worming and health care for the goats.

Hopefully I'll have milk & goat kid buyers this year too..

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've been doing good with saving and SS lifestyle in some respects and this is when it pays off, DH lost his job, and while I am scared, I know we'll be OK for a good long while before things get really bad. And I know both of us are the type who will always work, if we can't get the job we want, we'll work the job we can get.

This year I want us both to get good paying stable jobs and keep on working on creating the kind of stability that does not depend on the "market" or the monetary system.

Work on getting off the grid as much as possible! Start moving our money to local banks!

1stepcloser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are doing the Dave Ramsey thing this year. We have our emergency savings account now so it is time to pay off all debt. I hope to have all but the mortgage and those god-awful student loans gone by the end of this year.