Food hoarding?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
What is the LAW on food hoarding? (I do NOT want to start a debate.) I have looked it up online and so far I am mostly coming up with blog posts about past or recent food seizures.
I want to know what the LAW is about hoarding food. Is it 5 days, two weeks, 30 days? Does home canned goods count as hoarding? Does it say anything in the law about home canned goods?

I was talking to a lady last night who is a SERIOUS canner....read it as I think she has enough home canned food to feed MY family for several months and it is just two of them! She thinks if things get REALLY bad that 'they' could come in and take her home canned goods to redistribute for the common good. She has very little in the way of store bought goods. I honestly don't think she had more than a 5 pound bag of either sugar or flour.

Are there any cases of the gov't seizing home canned goods? I am not talking about CSA's. I am talking about for a single family that CANS.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Many of the anti-hoarding laws came out of the Woodrow Wilson administration (I HATE THAT GUY!). I do not think they are on the books any longer. There were some old executive orders (Clinton era and before) that were repealed a while back. There have been recent cases of the gnmt acting against price gougers, but not individual people stocking up.

Now that doesn't mean there isn't the possibility of an executive decree going after well-stocked individuals. It could happen though I would say it is a bit unlikely at this point. If food shortages hit (and I think they will) all bets are off.

This site lists different ways anti-hording laws could effect you...
http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Exec.Orders/EOs.html

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Many of the anti-hoarding laws came out of the Woodrow Wilson administration (I HATE THAT GUY!).
Ah, a fellow sick twisted freak! ;)

I wasn't aware that there WERE laws about such things, just the anti-gouging crackdowns during a flood or hurricane. I'm curious as to how a law like that could be enforced...? Would the food police go door to door & search your house? Or look for the obviously well-fed, non-starving people in the neighborhood? :idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
These old news stories do show what the gooberment is capable of...

hoardingstory.png

hordinglaw1919.png

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For real? There's a law? Somebody better warn my MIL then! She still has canned goods (store-bought) from '95 on her shelf. When my FIL lost his good paying job in the mines and things were tight, she went dumpster diving for coupons (which is pretty cool actually) and STOCKED UP. :D She also has lots of medicines and personal hygiene products she got for free when the drug store my FIL worked at burned down. Anything with scorched labels they couldn't sell so they got to take home boxes of stuff.

Gonna go do some web-surfing and see what I can find on this...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly concerned about this, but would just keep a low profile locally and not advertise that you are stocking up.

When it gets down to it, the Government can basically do anything it wants to. There was no constitutional or law basis for house to house confiscation of firearms after Katrina, but it was done solely because some bureaucrats took it upon themselves to do so. The same thing could in any emergency. However, I'd rather worry about the possibility of confiscation, than having to see my family going hungry in an emergency.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I wouldn't be overly concerned about this, but would just keep a low profile locally and not advertise that you are stocking up.

When it gets down to it, the Government can basically do anything it wants to. There was no constitutional or law basis for house to house confiscation of firearms after Katrina, but it was done solely because some bureaucrats took it upon themselves to do so. The same thing could in any emergency. However, I'd rather worry about the possibility of confiscation, than having to see my family going hungry in an emergency.
I concur. If this became an "issue" the entire LDS community would be very concerned about it. They teach their members to keep 2 years worth of food on hand for such emergencies.

Keeping many tons would seem somewhat different.

In the article posted by wifezilla, the value of the food was nearly $2000 which in 1918 or so was some serious money. If you read that article two things popped into my mind. One of which was that guy was storing huge quantities of sugar. If that had been wheat, they might not have been so upset.

On the other hand, I guess I would check out section 6 of the Food Control act. It might be rather interesting.

Best
Trim sends

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
k0xxx said:

I concur. If this became an "issue" the entire LDS community would be very concerned about it. They teach their members to keep 2 years worth of food on hand for such emergencies.

Keeping many tons would seem somewhat different.

In the article posted by wifezilla, the value of the food was nearly $2000 which in 1918 or so was some serious money. If you read that article two things popped into my mind. One of which was that guy was storing huge quantities of sugar. If that had been wheat, they might not have been so upset.

On the other hand, I guess I would check out section 6 of the Food Control act. It might be rather interesting.

Best
Trim sends
Do you have a link for the Food Control Act section 6?