Food prices June 2021

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No Costco biz centers near me. Sob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom complains too. Most are in California. It's a bit reminiscent of how Costco was in the 80s. Back when you had to have a business or work for the government to get a membership.

She however still gets half a beef from great aunt. She's one of the few who does.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
VOA article about Consumers Pushing Back Against Price Increases — And Winning...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@murphysranch Wow...that amount of real estate tax!?!!? Could not handle your amounts :old I shopped insurance this past Fall, saved a bundle! One big company to another -- difference was an agent who listened! Plus better rates, overall.

@flowerbug the article is spot on. When I read all the multiple "what frugal people do" articles -- no help, I already do them! 😳 Have for years.

Now, as to store brands...who do you think makes them? Same who make the branded ones, quite often. Since most of my buying is for basics - flour, sugar, salt, some condiments -- the store brand works. Now, a couple I do use branded (mayo, some flour types) but use little, so ok. Most of my food is home produced or well sourced privately. 🤷
I remember the "generic" brand craze. The grocery I was working in had a specific section of the store dedicated to the products. There were some offerings that were good, many were downright horrible. I remember my dad pouring a generic beer and there was still hops floating in the liquid.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep...beef is expensive! Makes me think I need to raise one again. Then, I stop and say, only me. Buy some. Besides, goat is good red meat. Faster grow out and smaller amount. 😁

I keep looking at another hog. Much tastier when home raised!

Chickens for Fall butcher, growing now. Thanks to my broody hens. Takes longer than CCX but, works for me right now. While I'm still working a job!! ;)

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now. The pen is big enough that they can have a potty corner. We used a 200’ roll of wire, plus a 12’ gate, plus their shelter that is 12’X12’. They have plenty of room, shade trees and are deep bedded with hay.
@Britesea you could probably raise a pig with not a lot of smell. Even if it did smell a little, just tell yourself that is the smell of delicious MEAT! LOL LOL
That sounds like a wonderful way to raise pigs. And, you'll have a wonderful garden spot! I'd love to raise a porker, but... we don't have the space.